Searching for substantives

VictoriousMaximus71

Hi,

I am quite new to accordance, and was trying to figure out a way to search for all substantives. 

In addition to nouns, I also wanted to find all substantival adjectives, substantival infinitives, substantival participles, and any other substantive. 

Is there a search query or tag I could use to find all substantives?

Thanks,

You put this within the "syntax module" section. Are you wondering how to do this with the syntax module? Or with a regular morphological tagging search?

I was thinking within the syntax module. But if its easier with "regular morphological tagging search", I'd be keen to find out how too?

Marco will probably have to chime in on this one. I don't think I know how to determine it is substantival alone from the syntax module (or morph).

It should be possible to find most by searching for a subject or complement and inserting an adjective and/or infinitive with each, like this:

post-29948-0-67220000-1458733401_thumb.png

• Like 1

I was also thinking of something like that. Still, it will have to be shifted through. 

Sifted for what? Aside from the stray error (which is why any serious user should always actually read the search results of *any* database), the results will only be adjectives used as subjects. That is the very definition of "substantival"-- a non-noun used as a noun. The same search for complements will work also.

Edited by Robert Holmstedt

Sifted for what? Aside from the stray error (which is why any serious user should always actually read the search results of *any* database), the results will only be adjectives used as subjects. That is the very definition of "substantival"-- a non-noun used as a noun. The same search for complements will work also.

The subjects should be good, but I think you would have to filter out the complements of ειμι, [null], etc., which are predicate adjectives. I just realized I don't actually have the Greek syntax module so I am not sure exactly how these are tagged. In the Hebrew DB, however, וַיִּהְיוּ שְׁנֵיהֶם עֲרוּמִּים (Gen 2:15) is a hit on simply complement+adjective.

• Like 1

Ok, yes, the comps are trickier. I was thinking too much about subjects. And I don't think there is a simple way to find substantival adjectives used as complements, unless you restrict it by using the article in front of the adjective, which is then not simply a predicate adjective.

-- Just checked and putting the article in front of (WITHIN=1) the complement=adjective seems to work pretty well.

And, of course, I have no idea how the Greek database deals with these.

Edited by Robert Holmstedt

Thanks for clarifying Peter.

I was just pointing out the need to do that still. That is all. :) 

The Article will definitely help.

Marco?

Marco hears just now. Sorry, I was ill a few days. For now, I wish you a happy Easter. Then I'll get back.