Missing verses in LXX

Charles Stock

I am missing Lamentation 3:22-24 in the LXX

Is it the Ralf's edition or is there something wrong with my text module?

From the NET Notes (cited below) I gather that there are LXX verses for this portion of Lamentation.

tc The MT reads tDmVnw

These verses are apparently missing from Rahlf's edition, but do occur in Swete's edition. I do not have a hard copy here to check, so I am open to correction.

I checked my hard copy of Rahlf's and these verses are indeed missing, as well as verse 29. I don't have Swete's edition, so I'm no help there.

The oldest uncial Greek texts of the LXX (Sinaiticus, A and B) do not contain these verses. The 5th century text called Ephraemi Rescriptus © and Origen's Hexapla do contain them, as well as the Masoretic Text, as you know.

On the strength of the old codices, Rahlf's ed. omitted them. On the strength of Origen and C and the MT, evidently Swete included them. In support of their antiquity is their inclusion in the Targums and the Syriac versions. It is also interesting that Jerome included them in the Vulgate so they must have been in his Hebrew mss.

I do not have an explanation for their absence in some old Greek mss. I do not have my sources here to check if they have shown up in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Will

This is informative. I am once again impressed with the level of involvement and the vigor of the Accordance Forums community. Thanks to all.

Archived