Infinitive construct + ל as a nominal

rblackwelder

I am trying to search for all the occurrences of the infinitive construct + ל where it has a nominal function in the Hebrew Bible. Here are two examples of this usage from Joün-Muraoka's A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew § 124bוְאִם רַע בְּעֵינֵיכֶם לַעֲבֹד אֶת־יְהוָה (Josh 24:15); וְעָלַי לָתֶת לְךָ (Sam 18:11). I am having trouble replicating this phenomenon. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Ryan

In both your examples, the infinitive (with or without ל) clause functions as the syntactic subject of a null copula ("verbless") clause. If these are the kind you want, the search attached below should work. If you also want infinitive clauses that function as verbal or copular complements, let me know -- the searches would be different.

NominalizedInfinitiveSubject.accord.zip

• Like 1

@Robert Holmstedt, thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I overcomplicated the search exponentially. If I was to search for infinitive clauses that function as verbal or copular complements, would I just change the dependent clause to complement rather than subject?

I'm still working on the verbal and copular complement search. I'll post it when I sort it out.

• Like 1

Ok, the first search ("InfinitiveASComplement") in the zip file gets Infinitives that are the complement of a verb or null copula clause.

If you want to distinguish the verbal from copular types, you'd need to add a higher predicate phrase and then specify the predicate as verbal or null. I've attached the null search (you can just swap out null for verbal to get the others).

InfinitiveSearches.zip

Edited by Robert Holmstedt

Thank you very much once again! Knowing how to do these kinds of searches are very helpful.