Instant details pop should display entire text listed in the title

dlrude

Instant details pop up window content  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

I thought that the instant details pop up window was not working.

Here is why and the text from the email that I sent in;

The instant details pop up window is still not correct in windows.
I attached 3 pictures to show you why I say this.
In pic1 I am showing you that I intend to mouse over the blue hypertext "chap 9" in the WBC OT and result in the instant details window.
In pic2 you can see the instant details pop up and it says its doing chapter 9 verse 1 to 37.
In pic3 you see that when I scroll to the bottom most degree that the text ends on verse 25, not 37.

Accordance gave this response;

Thank you for your e-mail. Because the instant details window is meant to give a quick look at the text, it will not show all the verses for a chapter with many verses. You can, of course, click on the link to open a new tab with the whole chapter. 

We would also recommend posting this to our user Forums if you would like to see this changed. We do have a section for people to make Feature or Module requests and this Forum is monitored by our development team. They can gauge the overall response to suggestions and requests from the Accordance community there.

and my response

I get it. 

IMHO its silly to label the window that opens as verse "a" to "g" and then stop displaying at "e".

When I order take out and there as 5 items on the receipt I don't accept the order if they put most of them in bag, ie. 3 of the 5.

Not sure if I will make a feature request, have to think about it.

Yes for me "ctrl" click opens a new pane to read it in so that is an alternative.

Accordance then said that they definitely recommend posting this on our user forums. So I am doing that.

What do you think? Should the instant details pop window display the entire text that is listed in the hypertext link and in the title of the pop up window?

Dave

p.s. I added a poll with two answers, yes and no. I did not include a stop ordering take out option.

post-32900-0-10156300-1454521983_thumb.jpg

post-32900-0-46535500-1454521997_thumb.jpg

post-32900-0-00670900-1454522013_thumb.jpg

I'm interested in why the words in your Instant Details are not broken across different lines.

Mine is broken.

See 

"place" as "pl

ace"

and "position" as "po

sition.

It is annoying to me because English is my second language, words are not intuitive to me especially when they are broken across the lines...

post-32138-0-97066400-1454612925_thumb.png

Just a thought but I wonder if you look at the actual text in a pane or tab if you would see the words broken in the same way?

I doubt that you will but it is a remote possibility.

Dave

Happens with all text?

just dictionaries? 

does it happen in a bible text?

maybe that's why mine does not split because it is a particular type or age of file that the text comes from?

You are right!

Biblical texts are fine.

It happens with lexicons.

I wonder why it is made in this way...

I tried to duplicate your result using DCH and cannot.

I bet it is something set in your preferences.

Look in the text display for example and see if your settings may give a hint. Mine is set to "paragraphs with space".

There are probably other that may effect it also.

Dave

Edited by dlrude

Did you check the same word?

I randomly chose a word. Not every word come to a position that it has too be broken up.

I set my text display as "separate verses." but I don't think it affects, because DCH entries are not listed according to verses.

I have attached my setting for Instant Details. I set font size as "Medium."

post-32138-0-40086000-1454617347_thumb.png

I picked many random words.

Attached are my settings.

Dave

I don't know why the pictures come out so small on this computer.

post-32900-0-93988200-1454619912_thumb.png

post-32900-0-57069800-1454619920_thumb.png

post-32900-0-00131200-1454619932_thumb.png

post-32900-0-70155200-1454619949_thumb.png

Edited by dlrude

Hi Dave,

Just realized that the words do not break on my Windows version.

Do you have a Mac to double check?

No MAC , only windows.

我 没 有 MAC, 我 有 windows.

:-) Iam taking a Mandarin class, started last fall. Don't know much. I am in with 3rd graders. I am 66, they are all smarter than me!

Dave

Edited by dlrude

And, the pictures you uploaded are too vague to see the characters... Looks like they have been compressed.

Edited by martinacc

Are these better?

From a different PC.

post-32900-0-41030700-1454620865_thumb.jpg

post-32900-0-93807400-1454620874_thumb.jpg

post-32900-0-18216700-1454620884_thumb.jpg

post-32900-0-74886000-1454620894_thumb.jpg

Edited by dlrude

Hi Dave,

I tried your settings. And guess what: the words are not broken anymore!

Thank you so much!

I changed some settings back to what they used to be, and the words still look nice. I don't know which option triggered that. But I'm happy to leave it as a mystery.  :D

PS: I am glad to see that you are taking Mandarin. Message me if you have any question about it. (Just curious, what do you learn this for?)

Good news that it helped!

One of my daughter in laws is Chinese.

She teaches her children Mandarin and English, they live in North Carolina, USA near me.

So I want to learn it because then my grandchildren will have more than one nearby family member that also speaks it.

That will make them more willing to speak, so far they are very timid to speak any other than English.

Also I go to same school that they go to so I drive one of them to school each week when we go. Makes a nice time together. :-)

Dave

Great to hear that!

It is such a wonderful thing that you and your grandson are going to the same school! This is kind of "天伦之乐" in Chinese context.

BTW, I came across the "abnormal" larger font size in yhwh entry. "cf.," "yah" and "yahu" appear much larger than the rest. I don't know if it was because of the change I made to setting somewhere. (I noticed that they look the same larger on my PC, therefore it maybe a common problem.)

post-32138-0-46741800-1454630641_thumb.png