Advice on purchasing and using LXX

mac98aop

Dear all

I'm no biblical linguist, but use the GNT NA 27 a lot in sermon prep, relying on all of Accordance's wonderful tools to ensure my translations are accurate.

I'm keen to start using the LXX to see how the Greek in the OT is used. But, just wondering:

1. How similar is the most reliable LXX to the NA27? I don't want to be guilty of lots of exegetical fallacies!

2. Which Accordance LXX to people recommend, mainly for lemma searches?

Thanks folks

Adam

The scholarly standard LXX is generally considered to be Rahlf's, though the Greek Bible (LXX+GNT) makes such searches easier. Both are tagged.

Remember, modern English translations of the OT are generally based on the HB, not the LXX. The two seem to represent two different textual traditions. NT authors sometimes cite the LXX, sometimes the HB.

A good lexicon, like TDNT, can help you sort of the different meanings/uses of words in the GNT and LXX.

• Like 3

Remember, modern English translations of the OT are generally based on the HB, not the LXX. The two seem to represent two different textual traditions. 

For this reason, I would recommend you also get at least one English translation of the LXX.  Accordance has two that I know of:  NETS (New English Translation of the Septuagint) and Brenton.  NETS is newer and easier to understand.  I seem to remember that there are some differences in which books are included in each, as there isn't really ONE LXX, but a number of variations.  But I may be wrong about that.  Certainly the order of books is different in the two.

• Like 3

The LXX equivalent to the NA27/NA28 (i.e., a critical text with apparatus and manuscript citations) is the Göttingen Septuagint, which is not yet complete in print. Accordance has many (not yet all) of the print-published volumes here.

However, the apparatuses in the Göttingen LXX make the NA28 look easy, and I can't imagine a scenario where consulting Göttingen would be essential for sermon prep. Rahlfs intended his Septuagint (with limited apparatus) to be a placeholder until something more thorough would appear--but it covers the entire Greek OT and he does compare the major manuscripts (Alexandrinus, Sinaiticus, Vaticanus), so you get some sense of text criticism. If you were to do academic research, you'd be expected to consult Göttingen, if it had been completed for the book in question.

Thanks everyone.

Abram, I was interested about your comment sounding surprised about my using it for sermon prep. I might well be wrong, but I just wondered if it was useful to see how the Greek word is used throughout the LXX to give insights on to their theological understanding when they translated, as a reference to how themes playout from Gen-Rev.

Perhaps you'd advise it's better to stick with Heb and NTGk separately?

Grateful for your wisdom and experience on this....

Adam

Hi, Adam! Just to be clear: it's the Göttingen Septuagint specifically I don't think you'd need for preaching--that edition enables more detailed text criticism, and if GNT text criticism doesn't make it into the pulpit for 99.5% of sermons, that would be all the more true with the LXX.

But that's just my opinion/approach. By all means, I think consulting a Septuagint (I'd go Rahlfs over Göttingen in this case) is a really great idea. After all, today is International Septuagint Day! :)

If u r interested in Hebrew bible study, running HMT/BHS in parallel with LXX Swete/Rahlfs is priceless! I've been studying Tobit and comparing the 2 LXX text versions in parallel in Accordance is about as much fun as someone who loves the original languages can have! Most translations consult both HMT and LXX, it's interesting to consider their choices. Swete or Rahlfs either one will do nicely ( I have both). Have fun in your studies!!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi, ever on a budget, i have been looking into getting lxx and think as a minimum, i need a tagged lxx together with nets and the interlinear database. But came across this add on which seems to be a better package.

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=MT-LXX+add-on

I accept its got brenton rather than nets, but the database doesnt work on an ipad and there is no such warning with the parallel.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks

I don't yet use the MT-LXX parallel frequently. Probably will as my Hebrew improves.

When I was reading the LXX daily I used Rahlfs, Brenton (rather as I like the KJV language I also like Brenton's) and NETS all the time. I basically don't use the interlinear feature of Acc. That's not a criticism of the feature itself, rather that I prefer parallels to interlinears. As the MT-LXX Parallel does get you interlinear support it certainly seems better to have that the simple interlinear DB, however I cannot say if it works on iOS as I do not run an iOS device. Finally I also have, but have not yet made a lot of use of, the SAAS (St. Athanasius Academy Septuagint). I like to have a variety of translations though so I was pleased when it came out.

Thx

D

• Like 1

The MT-LXX Parallel can be used on the iOS, but the MERGE search which makes it especially useful on the computer is not supported on iOS.

If you get a custom upgrade to the Original Language Collection it will include the basics of LXX studies: Rahlf's, NETS, Brenton, and a grammar.

• Like 1

Many Thanks helen, spent ages looking at the comparison, but for lxx, not septuagint so missed the references.

;o(

At the moment, enjoying the interlinear and general everyday use on ipad but still use mbp for heavy lifting such as searches and analytics so limitation wouldnt be an issue.

Good to be reminded about custom upgrade.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser