Export Library to Zotero

paulnystedt

Would love to see a way to export the entire library to Zotero. I don't know how difficult this would be or if it is even possible. Even just to be able to download your library in a .csv format would be awesome. Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere. I searched and couldn't find anything. 

• Like 3

Copyright issues prevent us from allowing full export of contents in a way that can be passed around. Or do you mean that you want the list of the contents of the Library? That can be printed to PDF, not the same, I know.

Hi Helen, I think he means bibliographic info in an RIS or in a CSV. This has come up a number of times, and I would like to see us offer this capability.

• Like 6

Same here! This would enable another possibility--one who is systematically writing/reading/studying/preaching through a book of the Bible could easily export a .csv file to a task management app or mind map of some sort, to keep a running checklist of resources on a particular book.

• Like 1

+1

An example from my list post-32723-0-25759700-1452271349_thumb.png

Greetings

Fabian

See the ad for Accordance in the Bibibliography

Wall, Robert W, N. T Wright und J. Paul Sampley (2002): The new interpreter’s Bible, v. X: acts of the apostles, introduction to epistolary literature, letter to the Romans, first letter to the Corinthians, [Accordance© 11 Bible Software], 1.2 Aufl., Nashville: Abingdon Press.

Edited by Fabian

Yes, having the ability to export the library contents in bibliography format would be a huge help. May I also suggest that rather than program an export to .csv you consider something more established for this sort of data (.csv is not detailed enough). Every reference manager I've examined and used (Zotero, Sente, Bookends, and Endnote) can import BibTex structure with no problems. N.B.: Bookends even permits one to change the import tags which is handy for adding notes. This opens the question: what should happen to user notes in Accordance in connection to each respective tool? Easy. Accordance should give the option to the user so that s/he can export notes along with the reference. I would much rather you spend time on something like this rather than having the ability to change the folder icon! Cute—but let's make some forward progress on functionality, yes?

Edited by Michael P Finkelstein

Yes, I was referring to bibliographic information. I don't know a whole lot about formats, but yes, I would greatly prefer a bibliographic format so I could import the source references into zotero. This would be a huge help for overall personal library management. 

• Like 2

Hi Helen, I think he means bibliographic info in an RIS or in a CSV. This has come up a number of times, and I would like to see us offer this capability.

This would be a reason for me to upgrade. Actually I think that should have been part in Accordance for a long time. If you use Accordance for scholarly work this would be huge plus. Here is a link to the RIS file format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIS_(file_format)

It is also supported by a couple of other library apps. I personally think Papers is the best on the Mac. Zotero is free though …

• Like 1

Supporting the RIS format is easy. Implementing the feature as a whole in a way that integrates smoothly into the Accordance UI is what will require more work, discussion, etc. It's something that has been brought up before, so I imagine eventually it will be discussed again with respect to priority along with a huge list of other features.

Edited by Rick Bennett
  • Like 1

At the moment, I search for the ISBN in the module. Copy and paste this in post-32723-0-88851100-1453271186_thumb.png and push enter. Then I change the few things thats other because I use Accordance.

For me this is the fastest way now.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At the moment, I search for the ISBN in the module. Copy and paste this in http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2016-01-20 um 07.25.46.png and push enter. Then I change the few things thats other because I use Accordance.

For me this is the fastest way now.

Greetings

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

How do you find the ISBN in the module. The commentaries I have either don't seem to have one or I can't find them! 

Thanks!

Hello Bruce 

In the most modules they are like in the printed edition in the preface. post-32723-0-73804800-1456012986_thumb.png But in older module you often didn't find it or in module which are created only for Accordance.

Or you can search the Book in Amazon and klick here post-32723-0-97266900-1456013024_thumb.png then you have it in Zotero or copy the ISBN there and push the "Zauberstab" = "μάγος ῥάβδος" post-32723-0-46899200-1456013074_thumb.png

Greetings

Fabian

• 1 year later...

I'm in the process of considering moving our school from BibleWorks to Accordance. One nice feature of BibleWorks was the provision of a file that could be imported into Zotero to get all the bibliographic information included with a single click. (We strongly encourage all students to use Zotero if the do not have a bibliography manager.)

I see where Accordance does allow export to Zotero, but it looks like it can only do one resource at a time. Has Accordance ever released a RIS file to add everything into Zotero? Thanks.

I'm in the process of considering moving our school from BibleWorks to Accordance. One nice feature of BibleWorks was the provision of a file that could be imported into Zotero to get all the bibliographic information included with a single click. (We strongly encourage all students to use Zotero if the do not have a bibliography manager.)

I see where Accordance does allow export to Zotero, but it looks like it can only do one resource at a time. Has Accordance ever released a RIS file to add everything into Zotero? Thanks.

Hi Mark,

Yes, we support export to .RIS. From the Library, select the resources you want to export (shift/cmd-click for multiple), then click the gear icon in the bottom of the Library, and select "export selected data…". A dialogue will open allowing you to choose a name and location of where to save the .RIS file. This is only supported in Tools, not Texts by design.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

• Like 2

"Export all Bibliographic data" would be great.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Yes, we support export to .RIS. From the Library, select the resources you want to export (shift/cmd-click for multiple), then click the gear icon in the bottom of the Library, and select "export selected data…". A dialogue will open allowing you to choose a name and location of where to save the .RIS file. This is only supported in Tools, not Texts by design.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks. I'm wondering, though, why bibliographic info for Texts cannot be exported. Students will need to cite which version (date) they are citing, and it would help if it could be imported into Zotero and pulled from there.

I do see that if I highlight biblical text, I do have the option to copy as a "Citation" which is supposed to copy text plus create a footnote when I paste into Word. (I'm still evaluating with Accordance Lite, and this option doesn't seem to work.) If the bibliographic info were in Zotero, though, I'd be able to generate my paper's bibliography much more easily.

So, I'm w/ Fabian in thinking Export all Bibliographic Data would be helpful. Zotero makes it very easy to insert footnotes and generate bibliographies if all that info were there.

Thanks again.

Thanks. I'm wondering, though, why bibliographic info for Texts cannot be exported. Students will need to cite which version (date) they are citing, and it would help if it could be imported into Zotero and pulled from there.

I do see that if I highlight biblical text, I do have the option to copy as a "Citation" which is supposed to copy text plus create a footnote when I paste into Word. (I'm still evaluating with Accordance Lite, and this option doesn't seem to work.) If the bibliographic info were in Zotero, though, I'd be able to generate my paper's bibliography much more easily.

So, I'm w/ Fabian in thinking Export all Bibliographic Data would be helpful. Zotero makes it very easy to insert footnotes and generate bibliographies if all that info were there.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the additional feedback here. A short response this evening, which I would be glad to discuss more via Skype, etc.

There are 2 features at work here: 1. Exporting bibliographic data for use in a third-party Citation Management apps. 2. Support for inserting citations automatically in Word processors utilizing our implementation of Turabian and SBL.

Yes, I think we could look into the option to export all data. But that's an app development item that I cannot comment on with direct insight. That said, this feature is designed so that users have the ability to control the method in which our resources are cited and managed. This seems what you are primarily interested in, so I won't comment further on 2nd feature in detail.

As I'm sure you are well aware, citing resources is somewhat murky water. Primary texts are not cited in the same fashion as secondary sources. Typically when you cite a text you simply use the text abbreviation and location reference (which we also support in some fashion within our Copy As Citation feature that is customizable in General Prefs). However, if you are citing statistical research generated from Accordance, then yes you would want to indicate that. But, none of the primary research style guides have a specified format for doing this. We leave it to users to decide how best to cite this (and if you have perused various publications that rely on our app you will see that they typically, although sometimes not at all, indicate this information in a preface or a single footnote that is then assumed for all other statistical data). Until the style guides specify a format to use, our implementation of such information within an SBL or Turabian format would be conjectural at best. If we include it within the RIS export, I do not believe this would import into any standard fields either (though I have not researched that fully).

We're certainly open to feedback here. And I am happy to discuss this further with you as well.

@Rick Bennett: Thanks once more!

You are correct that I usually cite my usual English version and Greek/Hebrew text I'm using up front either in introductory material or in one of the first footnotes.

I realize that I can get the bibliographic info of the texts by clickin on the title in the library and then clicking the info icon and then clicking the copy button. I thus get:

>>>>>>>

Greek NT (tagged)

Novum Testamentum Graece (New Testament in Greek) (GNT-T)

Nestle-Aland, 27th Edition, prepared by Institut für neutestamentliche Textforschung Münster/Westfalen, Barbara and Kurt Aland (Editors). Copyright © 1993 by Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart.
Used by permission.

Morphological tagging by William D. Mounce and Rex A. Koivisto
Copyright © 2003 William D. Mounce.
Copyright © 2009 OakTree Software, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Version 4.9
 >>>>>>>>>>>

or

>>>>>>>>>

NET Bible

The NET Bible®, First Edition (NET)

New English Translation, The Translation That Explains Itself™

Copyright © 1996-2005
By Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C.
All Rights Reserved

Version 3.4
>>>>>>

So, I could enter that data into my Zotero, and then I could automatically generate my footnotes and bibliography. Here's what it looks like using BibleWorks RIS file and then accessing Zotero via the Microsoft Word add-in:

>>>>>

Aland, Kurt, Barbara Aland, Johannes Karavidopoulos, Carlo M. Martini, and Bruce M. Metzger, eds. Novum Testamentum Graece (BNT). Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 2001. BibleWorks. v.8.

The NET Bible, New English Translation Bible (NET). n.p.: Biblical Studies Press, LLC, 1996. BibleWorks, v.8.

>>>>>

That's the kind of entry I think would be helpful for everyone, and it would not only indicate the book information but also that I'm using Accordance to access it.

Again, I appreciate your position on this and am grateful for your help.

Mark

Note that if there is an accompanying "Notes" or "Apparatus" module that these do include bibliographic info for citations or export since those portions would be cited by page number, etc. However, we do not add page numbers to Bible text notes or study Bibles since the page numbers usually correspond to a specific format (e.g. hardcover, large print, etc.) and can vary greatly.

Also, we include "Accordance electronic ed." in the "edition" field of every citation (and RIS export) so that it indicates that Accordance is being used. But it does not indicate the app version number. But, in the Bibliography style it does automatically extract the version number of the resource. I do believe that this is maintained in the RIS export, but I would need to double check.

• 2 years later...

I realize I'm reviving an old thread, but now that I'm using Accordance almost exclusively for my work, I need to address this again.

I did export all the resources that I could to RIS files and import them and organize them in Zotero. Now I can use Zotero to reference them from Word.

BUT

It is still not possible to export any biblical texts copyright information to a RIS file. I'm not eager to individually look up copyright info for all my Greek, Hebrew, and English texts and translations and manually and individually enter them into Zotero.

Can Accordance help us out? Thanks.

>>>

Accordance is my main program, so I'm not trying to start a who's-better-match, but what I would really like is what I can do in Logos. If I copy a biblical text, I can choose to include a footnote automatically that looks like this:
[1] Kurt Aland et al., Novum Testamentum Graece, 28th Edition. (Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 2012), Mk 6:34.

Just refreshing this hoping to get a response...

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Refreshing this request for Accordance to be able to generate bibliographic data for biblical texts in the program. Thanks!

• Like 5