Best resource/module for "missing" verses?

Ιακοβ

I'm enjoying working my way through NA28, however in the cases where the verse are "missing" i.e. John 5:3b-4, whats the best thing to pull up in parallel to read the longer readings?

I do have "NA28 Sigla" which often shows the missing parts, however I would much prefer to just see it in the text (to mouseover the meaning of uncommon words I do not yet know how to read). An understanding of alphabet soup shown in the "Sigla" remains elusive to me at this point.

(I have the Accordance Ultimate package, so hopefully theres something in here already, I can't see 5:4 in GNT-Textus Receiptus, GNT-Wescott and Hort either, so I am a little confused as to which one would have it)

Edited by Ιακοβ

The "missing" verses in the Textus Receptus and translations which are based on it only display if the search text has the verses in question. If your text is the GNT-Textus Receptus (or KJV), you will see the "missing" verses.

Odd! On my version of GNT-TR, John 5:4 is definitely missing:

post-33292-0-58342900-1449033705_thumb.png

Edited by Ιακοβ

In the pull down that selects the search text change from NA28 Greek to GNT-TR and rerun the search.

Thx

D

• Like 2

Odd! On my version of GNT-TR, John 5:4 is definitely missing:

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-02 at 4.19.02 PM.png

The verses displayed (and the order in which they are displayed) is determined by the main search text you are using. If you open GNT-TR by itself (or as the main search text), the “missing” material is indeed there. In your example, the NA28 is set up as your main search text which is why 5.4 doesn't display.

If one did not know for example that Acts 8:37 was found in the Textus Receptus, on the basis of a comparison of Accordance Greek texts, one would not make this determination, unless the TR was the first text in the search window. If a Greek text other than TR is used first, one is led to think that Acts 8:37 is also missing from the TR, which it is not. 

If one did not know for example that Acts 8:37 was found in the Textus Receptus, on the basis of a comparison of Accordance Greek texts, one would not make this determination, unless the TR was the first text in the search window. If a Greek text other than TR is used first, one is led to think that Acts 8:37 is also missing from the TR, which it is not. 

I think this is a weak point of Accordance. I don't know if it's possible to re-program it, but it seems many newbies with Accordance stumble at this, since the current behavior is not intuitive. (Usually, Accordance is spot-on for intuitiveness.) Regardless (well, almost regardless) of the amount of work involved, I think the program should be changed so that if there's a comparison the verses shown are the total of all verses in all compared versions. I'm sure this would have already been done, if it were easy to do, or perhaps even if it were reasonably doable. So, I'm not really expecting it to happen.

• Like 2