Command-F for Search?

Abram K-J

This thread is related (maybe?) to this one, and perhaps related to this post, but I didn't want it to get lost in a longer thread.

Is a catch-all CMD-F search on the "Honey do" list Helen mentions, as well? It's surprisingly hard (ironically) to search and find something like "CMD-F" on the forums (or "Command-F"), but I know it's been brought up before.

Specific use case: I want to quickly search a Dictionary for all uses of "Boat." I want to search across both titles/entries and article text ("English content"), but don't want to take the time to set up the search to cover both search fields so I don't miss anything. (And I don't want to have to make sure to remember to also use the "Captions" search field.) An inline command-F search that could pull up all of the above uses--with a single search ("boat"), entered into a single inline search box--would be great.

My this one was about search in a page like in a browser page.

But this feature you ask for here you would be useful also.

I suspect this could be done by having a search field called [ALL] which you could select. Of course a shortcut to do it would be nice.

+1

• Like 2

Yes, we do plan both of these, but in the meantime, to search all the fields you could create a Group in the Library with just your preferred module(s). Then search that group in the Research tab which does search all fields of that language.

• Like 2

Thanks, Helen! Glad to hear this is on the horizon.

Added to the eventual Command-F, I would suggest Command-G, which is standard for taking you to the next hit.

• Like 3

Added to the eventual Command-F, I would suggest Command-G, which is standard for taking you to the next hit.

Yes, of course! Looking forward to it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

ALL what? English but not the other languages or the references?

I guess suggested that field - me and my big keyboard :)

Here are my thoughts, though farcas and others may have a different take.

I think I was thinking if possible (not sure how hard it would be) a search function that searched all indexes compatible with the input text, if English then all English fields, if Greek all Greek etc. Given my thinking about, I would not exclude scripture references from this, though I can see how references entered in one language would have to be converted so that could be dropped. If you meant references to other works, then sure include those as compatible with the input text.

But doesn't Research now basically do this ?

Perhaps the difference here is that one wants Research for just one module - not groups - and with auto-selection of the fields that Research uses - it provides specific languages, Unicode and images and verses. If everything were Unicode already that alone would be enough.

I don't know the balance of Unicode to non-Unicode modules at this point, but perhaps ALL could just do a single-module Unicode search ?

I assume Unicode search is capable of finding text in any language and even mixed language text but I have yet to try it out actually. If not then something like auto-detect the input language and search all the fields of right language.

Thx

D

ALL what? English but not the other languages or the references?

ALL fields

E.g. I search for a Hebrew word in not just the entry field of a lexicon but also the other fields including Hebrew content - its a catch all.

ALL fields

E.g. I search for a Hebrew word in not just the entry field of a lexicon but also the other fields including Hebrew content - its a catch all.

I would foresee this as a problem because when searching in a specific Hebrew field, for instance, Accordance automatically switches to a Hebrew alphabet. So if an all fields search was to search everything, you'd have to put in a code for Hebrew in the search field (as our competitor does) or switch international keyboards. 

However, if you wanted to search both Hebrew entries and content at the same time, there are two ways to do it. The easiest way is to add a second search field in the lexicon.

Or if you thought you might want to run this search (both Hebrew entry and content) often, you could set up a group with just one title, and use the Research window to search for a word. In the screenshot below, the first method is on the left and the second is on the right. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 5.55.52 PM.png

Interesting Rick. But these feel like work arounds. Plus I always switch to my own keyboard to enter Hebrew.

Thanks!

Interesting Rick. But these feel like work arounds. Plus I always switch to my own keyboard to enter Hebrew.

Thanks!

There would have to have to be some workaround regardless because Accordance has many languages in its various titles: English, Greek, Hebrew, Syriac, transliteration (uses the Rosetta font) and others. Simply using the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl-F or Cmd-F would not be enough. The language would have to be specified. I'm not certain that switching keyboards would even cover all of the fields in various Accordance titles. I mean, this is the stuff that separates Accordance titles from Kindle titles. 

But here's an idea: perhaps Crtl/Cmd-F could trigger a list of some kind asking the language, and then the text could be entered searching both titles and content for the word, phrase, etc.

Hey Rick, In the non-Unicode modules, does Acc know as metadata which languages are present in a document ? I am guessing that it does given the search fields that exist. If it does then a additional search fields could be offered in the field pull-down for each language. For example "ALL-Greek", "ALL-Syriac" etc. etc. You would only need to make available the ones that apply to any given module. In Unicode modules a simple "ALL" should suffice and the user could use the appropriate keyboard to enter the search text.

Thx

D

Yes, Accordance knows, but I'm not an expert in the under-the-hood workings. Someone else may be able to give a more thorough response. 

In Mac Mail cmd+F for search in the specific mail. Alt+cmd+F for all mails = more the Accordance "Research"

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1