Can't get out of night mode without a crash with some tools

Julia Falling

Hey –

I am not having this problem but my husband is.  He, like most of us, switches back and forth between day and night mode.  After switching to night mode, he was unable to go back to day, but only in tools, and only in some of them, not in texts.

If he is in day mode in a text, tools would be black on black and an attempt to switch to day mode in those tools would yield an immediate crash.

If he is in night mode in a text, the tools will display properly, night mode.  Attempting to switch to day mode in some tools would still yield a crash.  But he could switch between day and night modes in a text without a problem.

He tried deleting & reinstalling iAccord but the problem remained.

We compared our Accordance settings, and since the last tool he had opened was stuck in night mode, this is what his Tool Display page looks like.

post-330-0-19906200-1448119247_thumb.png

Just what we would expect when the iPad is in night mode.

We then opened one of the tools that would properly switch between day & night modes without a crash and set the Tool Display and had all options for text and background colors available.  After saving those settings, the problem tools now can be switched without a crash.  We now know how to fix this, but perhaps it would be a good thing to eliminate whatever glitch caused the problem?  

We didn't check all tools, but a couple that did cause problems were Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek and IVP Pocket Dictionary Series.

Our iPads are the same model (Air 1) with the same specs.

Hey Julie,

Thanks for all the information, I will look into this issue further and hopefully have a fix in our next release.

Chris

I can't seem reproduce the issue, but it seems like it could be a corrupt settings file. Have your husband delete the app again, but before reinstalling, do a soft reset. This is done by holding down the power button and home button at the same time until the screen turns off. Continue to hold them down until the Apple logo appears then release them. Now reinstall the app and let me know if that solves this issue.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris –

I think this may have had something to do with his iAccord > Settings > Tool Display.  He set the display and saved — there hasn't been a problem since.  He switched Tools and Texts and switched between night and day modes and all is working well.  I'm wondering if he ever set the Tool Display at all after the initial install of iAccord?  He wouldn't remember (nor would I), but that might have been it.

If it happens again, we'll start with the soft reset, then reinstall.

Thanks for your reply.  The responsiveness of all you Accordance folks is very much appreciated.  Problems get solved.

Edited by Julie Falling

Glad you got it working, and it's our pleasure. If it happens again, let us know so we can look into it further.

Chris

• 1 month later...

This also happens to me, consistently.

I've done reset options for all 3 items listed under preferences, also completely erased and reinstalled accordance.

I can enter the text display options but not the tool display options in day mode. Consistent repeatable crash.

Most of the time I don't care as I largely read at night, but this is annoying.

How do I give you a dump? I'd prefer not to have to sync back to my Mac to get the crash file as I'm traveling.

• 1 month later...

Just started happening regularly with me.  It began when I turned Ante-Nicene Fathers to night mode.

Before I deleted and attempted a soft reset, I went to "Tools Display", but kept crashing.

So, deleted and trying soft reset.  Just wanted you to know that others are having this issue too.

Using iOS 9.2.1 on an iPad 4.

Hey Joe, 

Our next release (2.3) should be out very soon which has fixes for this issue. Let us know if it takes care of this issue when it comes out.

Thanks,

Chris

OK Chris!

However, I did follow your instructions in this topic...delete Accordance, then a soft reset and reinstall Accordance.

I also did as Julie suggested.  Before deleting Accordance (had several gig of data), I went to preferences and tried to change tool settings, but Accordance kept crashing.  Then, I deleted, Accordance, soft reset, reinstall...and immediately went to preferences and set a different background for tool.

It appears to have resolved the issue.  Will let you know if I have any more trouble.

Thanks,

Joseph

Joe, 

Ok great. Glad you have this issue resolve. The release will have some safeguards in place to prevent any issues like this in the future.

Chris