Has anyone purchased Decker's Reading Koine yet?

Ιακοβ

This has been on my to buy list for quite some time now, but the Accordance sale price—once you take into account exchange rates—is 20% more than the hardback printed version. I don't mind so much the premium on the price, if the textbook layout/format is just as good in Accordance as it is in print.

(I know there is one screenshot in the sale page, but its only a very small tiny section of a page of the book)

http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Decker-Reading+Koine

Edited by Ιακοβ

We always take great care in representing as best as possible the layout of the print edition, and I'm very happy with this final product.

In addition to the overall layout and readability, we also added several helpful features.

First, we included all the author's audio resources embedded into the grammar at the specific place where they are intended to accompany the grammar's content. This includes vocabulary readings, reading passages, and also the appendices (paradigms, etc). While several of our grammars include audio readings of vocab, this is the first Greek grammar to include reading passages. The reading style is very clear, annunciated well, and increases in pace as the readings progress through the book (starting off slowly, focusing on individual words).

Second, we have included hyperlinks to all frequency counts in the GNT and LXX in vocabulary sections and also in select portions of the appendices and glossary. This allows one to see the usage of a word across each corpus. **Note** not all frequency counts match exactly due to either errors in the author's calculations, or variations in forms included, etc. But, we have verified that each link does in fact produce a valid search.

Third, the glossary also includes links to frequency searches in the GNT and LXX, as well as links back to the vocabulary section the word is discussed, and links to BDAG or L&N as discussed. 

And as always, any reference to an Accordance resource is also hyperlinked including Mounce, Wallace, BDAG, LSJ, L&N, and even in this case Smyth's grammar on Perseus.

As I similarly mentioned in a post about the UBS5 release, this is the type of resource that really sets Accordance apart from an "e-reader" (and obviously the print edition). This grammar shines in Accordance, and I made sure of it; not least because we strive to do so in all of our resources, but also because of Dr. Decker's longterm support of Accordance.

Edited by Rick Bennett
  • Like 2

Here are a few more screen shots:

post-5629-0-11048300-1447866509_thumb.png

post-5629-0-32658400-1447866519_thumb.png

post-5629-0-58968000-1447866531_thumb.png

post-5629-0-17727600-1447866542_thumb.png

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the feedback, its very helpful. Especially those extra screenshots. Im very excited that this is now available in accordance.

Im just a little cautious these days as I have had some bad experiences in the past. And these types of textbooks are certainly not as simple to layout as a normal/typical book.

Now its time to start the long 18+ hour wait until US office hours to make my order go through. (Seems to happen every time)

• 9 months later...

This has been on my to buy list for quite some time now, but the Accordance sale price—once you take into account exchange rates—is 20% more than the hardback printed version. I don't mind so much the premium on the price, if the textbook layout/format is just as good in Accordance as it is in print.

(I know there is one screenshot in the sale page, but its only a very small tiny section of a page of the book)

http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Decker-Reading+Koine

Just wonder how you have found using it in Accordance? This would generally be a resource I would buy in paper format but think it might be useful to have in Accordance as a grammar.

Frankly, I think this is one of the most fully-tagged and best-formatted resources available in Accordance. I can't think of a single advantage that the print edition would have over digital. 

• Like 1

Door stop!

Support for a shelf

or leveling a holman bible atlas when scanning

Stacking to press flowers.

;o)

Much as i love accordance for studying, there a still a few practical things you need physical books for.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 4

Well grabbed myself a copy using the 20% off coupon and got to say it looks very nice in iOS. Well done Accordance on the formatting.

• Like 2

I currently have a print edition and a kindle edition. So I am wondering how great of an advantage the tagging would be to justify buying the book a third time. My only complaint with the book is the lack of an answer key (Which I really enjoy with Mounce's workbook), so to what degree does the tagging help with knowing whether you got something right or not? For example, is all the Greek exercises tagged?

• 1 year later...

I'm considering getting Decker's Reading Koine Greek as well. The posts here have answered several of my questions but I have one remaining -- how does the integrated workbook work in Accordance? Does Accordance let me type in the blanks of the workbook exercises to complete them or would I need to print those out?

Thanks!

I'm considering getting Decker's Reading Koine Greek as well. The posts here have answered several of my questions but I have one remaining -- how does the integrated workbook work in Accordance? Does Accordance let me type in the blanks of the workbook exercises to complete them or would I need to print those out?

Thanks!

And... I just found this blog post that seems to address my question about how the workbook portion works. :) https://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Textbooks/

• Like 1

I've used workbooks in Accordance on my iPad many times. I typically pull up the relevant workbook page, take a screenshot, paste the image into Notes Plus, and then use my stylus to fill in the workbook.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, I love having this in Accordance. The only thing I don't like is the fact that there appears to be audio files (in Erasmian) locked into the resource so it uses a whole heap of storage space on your phone/iPad.

We've just released an update that compresses the audio in Decker quite a bit, shaving off about 100 mg of the module size. The new version number is 1.3. 

• Like 1

Man, I'm sure glad my phone will now weigh 100mg less after this update…

• Like 3

Man, I'm sure glad my phone will now weigh 100mg less after this update…

I figured every megabyte weighs about a milligram, lol. 

• Like 1

Good thing Graham was doing the compression and not me :-)

tenor.gif?itemid=8225896

I wish I could compress my mass…

Edited by Graham Buck
  • Like 1

Version 1.3 is not showing up in Content Update of Easy Install for me.

We've just released an update that compresses the audio in Decker quite a bit, shaving off about 100 mg of the module size. The new version number is 1.3. 

Is this necessary? 

The peoples make thousands of fotos and complain the size of the Accordance modules :blink:

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

I'm seeing the same thing Michael. We're looking into it now. In the meantime, I was able to download it by deleting Decker and then installing it using Easy Install. 

That issue is fixed now.

• Like 2

Confirmed. Thank you very much!