Need Extra Training in Reading/Understanding BHS Apparatus

Dr. Nathan Parker

This semester in Hebrew, I am needing to be able to read, understand, and make decisions on notes in the BHS apparatus. I am struggling with it a little bit. Can someone give me a rundown of how I can better read and understand the notes in the BHS apparatus?

I'll give you an example from a lesson I already submitted: I needed to compare some of the apparatus notes in 2 Samuel 11:1-10. I read them and mentioned them in my assignment, but I struggled a little with understanding what the notes meant and how to make textual decisions with them.

A screencast overviewing it would be extremely helpful as well.

Thanks!

Working on a webinar for this now. :-) I'll try to use your passage as an example.

• Like 7

Working on a webinar for this now. :-) I'll try to use your passage as an example.

I was sure, you guys will do an Accordance Blockbuster. From Dr. J. or so ...

But a Webinare is more than I have expected ...

Greetings

Fabian

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I do have the Simplified Guide to the BHS. It helped somewhat, but I'm still having issues.

Mark: Do you think the webinar will be ready even for a "trial run" next Monday or Tuesday? I would definitely join in it even if you need to "polish" it up later for future webinars.

Hi Nathan,

Can you be a bit more specific about what you need help with? I'm going over textual criticism with my first year Hebrew students this week, so on the one hand I may have some material readily available, and on the other hand, the questions you have might help me know what questions they may have but aren't asking.

How much help do you need with "reading" the apparatus? And how much of it relates to how to make sense of what the apparatus says after reading it, or making a decision based on the information it gives you?

Cheers,

Tony

You might wish to take a look at Understanding BHS by Reinhard Wonneberger.

Here is the results of a search on Bookfinder.com (my go-to place to locate hard to find books):

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=EJ.kA9h.qwB6eIfMfRD4tSMnbAI_1445206305_1:764:2283&bq=author%3Dronald%2520wonneberger%26title%3Dunderstanding%2520bhs%2520a%2520manual%2520for

The "other" Bible software has it available for immediate download.  I hate to send people there, but you sound like you need help now.

https://www.logos.com/product/2927/understanding-bhs

Edited by Michael Miles