How do I do word study?

rjmathes

I know this is anathema for a dedicated Mac user, but have you considered the Tutorial that comes with the application. Oak Tree has also provided some excellent manuals that describe the use of Accordance rather well.

When I select "Search for words" and type "joy", I get 155 verses

Here are a couple of ways to do what you are asking about:

Method 1:

1) Open a Search window in Accordance (File>New>Search Text)

2) Set the Search text (above the box where you type in the search parameters) to the version you want to use (e.g. NRSV or KJVS)

3) Set the radio button for Words

4) Type in the word you want (e.g. joy); hit return

Like Jack, I get a list that includes Book, Chapter, Verse and the text of the verse. The word I searched for shows up in red. If this doesn't happen for you, there are probably some settings you need to change, unfortunately I don't know which ones, but I'm sure Helen or David would.

Method 2:

1) In this scenario, you are reading a text and find a word you want to look up. Say, for example, that you are reading 1Kings 21 and you want to know if the word "sullen"(1Kings 21:4) occurs elsewhere in Scripture.

2) Select the word in question (in our example, sullen)

3) move your mouse over to the Resource Pallette, to the scroll with the A on hit

4) Click and hold the mouse and choose the English translation you want to search

5) A new search window opens, showing you the results. (In the NRSV, "sullen" occurs 3 times; twice in 1Kings and once in 3Mac)

The various tabs in the Details window (click on the details button) can also be very helpful when doing word study.

Similarly, you can select a word in the text, move the arrow over to the book with an A on it and choose the tool you want to search.

If you use a keyed text (KJVS, NAS, or NIV-G/K), you can select a word, hold down the option key, and then select the the text you want from the English scroll. This will search for every occurence of the original language word behind the English translation.

I, too, would reccommend the included tutorials. You might also want to consider the new training DVD. The free downloadable sample lesson is on using the search window.

Lorinda

By default it should show you the book. But if it doesn't press Apple-T (or Display->Set Text Pane Display) and make sure you havn't selected "omit book name". Your version being a few years old, I'm assuming that hasn't changed.

If your search results are only showing chapter and verse without the book name, you must have, at some point, changed the display settings to omit the book name. To fix this, go to Preferences and click on Text Display in the list at left. In the References section of the dialog box, you'll see a pop-up menu labeled "Format." I suspect if you click and hold on it, you'll see a check mark beside the "Omit Book Name Only" option. Just choose something like "Before Verse" to get the book name back. When you click OK, your settings will apply the next time you open a new Bible text.

Even without changing the settings, you can always see the book name for the top verse in your window by looking down at the Go To Box in the bottom right corner of the Search window. The full reference is always given there.

As for doing word studies, your best bet is to use a Bible text with Strong's numbers, such as the KJVS or NAS95S. Then, when you want to find out more about a word, you can triple-click it to look it up in a Strong's dictionary. If you want to search for every occurrence of the original Greek or Hebrew word behind the English, simply select the word you want, then hold down the option key while clicking the Search button at the bottom right corner of the Resource palette. A new window or tab will open showing every word which has been tagged with that Strong number. In version 7, you can control-click a word and then choose Search for Key Number from the contextual menu.

I'm sorry you've found the Accordance interface counter-intuitive. I wish you had asked for help sooner. To get a feel for the basic concepts around which the Accordance interface is built, see this page. To learn how to use Bible texts with Key Numbers, go to the Accordance Help, then click on the link to the TUTORIAL, and look at section 5, "Working with Strong's Numbers." You might also check out this article I wrote for the Christian Macintosh Users Group.

Finally, there is the Accordance Training DVD, which I think will help you get up and running with Accordance faster than any other resource.

I hope this helps.

Y'all have such good answers. I talked to this user much earlier today and got him on the road. I intended to keep his post hidden, but it was put back and now everyone has to set him right, poor guy! He'll probably never show his face again.

I would hope, rather, than the number of responses would indicate our willingness as an "Accordance Community" to help those who are struggling with some aspect of the program, and therefore encourage him (and others) to post again, knowing that there are many folks willing and able to be of assistance.

Lorinda

After using Accordance regularly for some years, I am still learning something useful almost every week from these kinds of discussions. I LOVE the forum discussions and the community of helpful folks who comprise the Accordance forum.

I consider myself a raving fan of Accordance and regularly evangelize new users among my pals. The forum and blogs are big selling points!

Thanks to all of you Accordance staffers! You maintain such a great quality of interaction with the forum! It's the best!

Archived