VULG vs VULGATE

countach

Good question! I am no expert on the Vulgate, but I will give you the official information on the texts.

The VULG is our original module:

Biblia Sacra Iuxta Vulgatam (The Latin Vulgate)

Biblia Sacra Iuxta Vulgatam, 4th revised edition. Edited by Robert Weber.

Copyright

Interesting to post regarding the Latin Vulgate in the "Original Languages" forum.

The description on the web site seems to indicate that both VULG and VULGATE have alternative versions. Other than text, how are they different? The VULG seemed to mention a latin lexicon. is that unique to that one?

The Latin Dictionary comes only with the VULG on the Scholar's Collection, not the Studienbibel. The website description of the VULGATE was in error (copied from VULG). I have now corrected it. There is punctuation, there are no alternative texts.

The Vulgate is a very early translation, true not really an original language, but an important early witness as the LXX is to the Hebrew Bible, and so are the Targums and Peshitta.

Interesting to post regarding the Latin Vulgate in the "Original Languages" forum.

It's interesting, isn't it? The Latin Vulgate suggests that it is a translation in its very name. "Vulgate" means "common": it was for many centuries the translation that was commonly used in Latin speaking Western Europe.

In this it is very similar to the Peshitta for Eastern christianity: "Peshitta" means "common", too.

As Helen suggested, the Latin Vulgate is still important for text criticism. It is also important for canonical criticism, as it is a witness to the text that was considered canonical in Western Europe for many centuries.

I will add some notes to the excellent information that Helen already provided.

The VULG is our original module:

Biblia Sacra Iuxta Vulgatam (The Latin Vulgate)

Biblia Sacra Iuxta Vulgatam, 4th revised edition. Edited by Robert Weber.

Copyright

I will elaborate further on the VULGATE and VULG-N module:

The two modules included in the Catholic Collection CD-ROM are:

VULGATE:

Clementine Vulgate (Traditional)

Public Domain

Downloaded from

See “VULGATE Preface

That is some great information, Marco! Thanks for taking the time to post that. Those posts should be combined into a read me file that comes with the Vulgate modules.

So are you saying there are three Psalters?

Psalterium iuxta hebreos

Roman Psalter

Gallican Psalter

...all three in the Accordance module?

So are you saying there are three Psalters?

Psalterium iuxta hebreos

Roman Psalter

Gallican Psalter

...all three in the Accordance module?

Sorry, I did not explain that clearly.

Only two forms of the Psalter are available, I am afraid. The Roman Psalter is not available. It is not even in the printed Vulgata Stuttgartensia edited by Weber.

The Psalterium iuxta hebreos is in the VULG module, and the Gallican Psalter is in the VULG2 module. The latter is a a small module with alternate texts. It is unlocked at the same time as VULG. They can be viewed in parallel panes, and they can be compared to show the differences.

I found it very useful when I assessing a doctoral dissertation about Psalm 2. My student and I agreed about a fresh translation of Psalm 2,6.

The Hebrew says: ‏ ואני נסכתי מלכי על־ציון הר־קדשׁי

The verb ‏נסכתי is usually translated "I have anointed".

For exegetical reasons, we thought that it could rather be II ‏נסך‎: by-form II ‏סכך. According to KB (AKA HALOT) this means "to entwine, weave". We thought that the act of weaving was a metaphor that referred to formation of the fetus in the womb.

When we checked old translations in Accordance, to our surprise, VULG brought to our attention that the Psalterium iuxta hebreos translates "ego autem orditus sum regem meum", that is "and I have woven my king". This means that, after all, our interpretation was not a fresh one: Jerome had come out with the same translation 15 centuries before us.

Of course, the dissertation mentioned that. The dissertation is available in Spanish: L. Garc

That is some great information, Marco! Thanks for taking the time to post that. Those posts should be combined into a read me file that comes with the Vulgate modules.

Robb:

I am glad that you have found this useful. I was already thinking of what you suggest. I would like to write a summary for the next release of the VULG module.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone elaborate on the differences between the Sixtine and Clementine editions of the Vulgate?

Thanks!

Yes, of course. Both of them are printed editions.

The Sixtine Vulgate is named after Pope Sixtus V (1585-1590). It was published shortly before the Pope's death, and soon retired afterwards, because many mistakes had crept into it.

A revision was carried out under the pontificate of Clement VIII (1592-1605), and eventually printed in 1598. At first its title was unchanged: "Biblia Sacra Vulgat

Speaking of the Vulgate, thanks to Marco we will release the complete tagged Vulgate at the SBL meetings later this month.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks! Can you elaborate on the textual differences between the two?

Were the mistakes printing errors or transcription errors from the MSS?

How many mistakes/differences are there between the two?

Has the Clementine been changed since then? EG minor editorial work, changes to spelling, punctuation, etc?

From your previous answer you sound like the best person to ask!! Thanks again!

Alistair,

thank you for your appreciation. If I understand correctly, you are interested in the differences between the Sixtine and the Clementine edition, aren't you?

Then I am afraid that I don't have much first hand information. The fact is, it is easy to find a Clementine Vulgate, in print or in electronic format, while it is very difficult to find a strictly Sixtine edition. Some research could be done on the internet in order to see if a pdf of the original Sixtine Vulgate is available.

I can share with you my source of information, that is the Catholic Encyclopedia. The entry is "Versions of the Bible", and more specifically, versions from Hebrew. The url is: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15367a.htm#hebrew

The Catholic Encyclopedia is now outdated, but in this particular matter it should still be reliable, as all the needed documents were available to is redactors.

I might add that the preface to the Clementine Vulgate says that Sixtus V was already aware that errors had crept in, and wanted to correct them in a second edition, but died before he could do that.

The preface to the Clementine says: Quod cum jam esset excusum, et ut in lucem emitteretur, idem Pontifex operam daret, animadvertens non pauca in sacra Biblia pr

Speaking of the Vulgate, thanks to Marco we will release the complete tagged Vulgate at the SBL meetings later this month.

I believe that I have found one tagging error in the VULG-T text, Gen 4:13. The module identifies "veniam" as 1 sg pres subj act from venio. In the context, I believe it should be acc sg from venia, in this case meaning "forbearance, forgiveness, pardon, remission" as in Seneca, Clem 2.7 venia est poenae meritae remissio.

There is likely a second error in Gen 4:16. The module identifies "plagam" as "plague, stripe, wound." However, Lewis and Short list three roots, plaga, the second of which is glossed as "region, quarter, tract."

Thank you for offering the Vulgate. It comes as a timely addition for me.

Please send tagging and other errors directly to me, rather than posting on the Forum.

Anyway, thank you for your careful exam. I will correct this and any more mistakes that are found in the next release.

Marco

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I am new on the forum. I was surprised when preaching a retreat these days that the latin psalter was the Iuxta Hebraicum which is of interest for the interpretation as well as some textual interest but should not be given as the first Vulgata text in the Accordance, for it was never the Psalter of the Vulgata. Anyway, I feel happy to have at least the Vulgata text of the psalter, though strangely appearing as a "second choice".

All the best to everybody.

Hello,

I am new on the forum. I was surprised when preaching a retreat these days that the latin psalter was the Iuxta Hebraicum which is of interest for the interpretation as well as some textual interest but should not be given as the first Vulgata text in the Accordance, for it was never the Psalter of the Vulgata. Anyway, I feel happy to have at least the Vulgata text of the psalter, though strangely appearing as a "second choice".

All the best to everybody.

Welcome to the Forum!

About the Gallican Psalter vs. the Psalterium iuxta Hebraicum sermonem: it is not that when preparing the module one was considered more important than the other. We are just taking the text out of the Stuttgart edition by Weber and Gryson, and they put the Psalterium iuxta Hebraicum first, that is on the left, while the Psalterium Gallicanum is on the right. The Accordance module does not rework the edition and reconsider the choice of the editors, but rather makes them available within Accordance and adds the tags.

Something similar happens with the Greek in the modules LXX1 and LXX2. LXX2 is smaller, as it contains only alternate texts where they are available in the edition by Rahlfs. In that case, the text that Rahlfs printed at the bottom goes into LXX2, even if it is a better translation or it is closer to the original than the one in LXX1.

That said, I think that there was some time when the Psalterium iuxta Hebraeos made it into the Vulgate. That was after Jerome made the translation, when it gained acceptance together with the new translations of the Prophets that Jerome prepared from the Hebrew.

Then the Psalterium presented in LXX2 became again mainstream at the end of the VIII century, when Alcuin of York supervised the preparation of many copies of the Vulgate, and he chose the older Psalter translation, that Jerome had revised instead or re-doing it from scratch. As that Psalter gained traction from the work of Alcuin, and Alcuin was working at the court of Charlemagne, that Psalter was called Psalterium Gallicanum. So both of them were in the Vulgate, even if they were mainstream at different times.

This is what I find in my books, but I would be glad to learn more.

Archived