Time Machine reinstallation

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

Does anyone know if I could use the Time Machine backup from my small 120 GB hard disk for installing everything on a new, larger hard disk?

Thanks.

Regards,

Michel

What I mean is, can I backup the 120 GB drive in the MacBook with Time Machine, replace the 120 GB drive with say a 1 TB drive, boot with the Snow Leopard installation disk, use Disk Utility to format, then just install from the Time Machine backup? Is it that easy?

Thanks

Yes. If your Time Machine installation is the default, and you haven't excluded any folders, then that should work fine. 

• Like 1

Another possibility – OWC (no affiliation, just satisfied customer) sells drive kits.  You can start by putting your replacement drive into the inexpensive enclosure that comes with the kit.  Then install the OS on that drive.  Boot-up in the new drive and use Migration Assistant to move all your stuff.  Then install the new drive in your machine.  It's easy.  I've done it without assistance.

You can use the enclosure for the old drive (and I'd hold onto it for a bit in case something weird we've never seen before happens – not really paranoid, just cautious).

• Like 1

Hi Julie,

Thanks. I had something similar in mind, but I guess I hadn’t thought of installing on an external enclosure to make sure it worked. 120 GB is small these days. So if I want to replace it, I might as well use one from one of my laptops, either 500 GB or 1 TB, and use the $ I would have spent for a regular hard drive on an ssd for a laptop. I’ll try it when I get enough $.

I’m really enjoying this MacBook. But it is missing one thing, BW10, which I use in concert with Acc and Logos for word processing and my own user lexicon. So I’m going to try to install it in Linux or Windows in a virtual machine. Who knows if I’ll cause more catastrophes, so I’ve already got Acc on Time Machine on a USB – I ran TM after the SL install with updates and then Acc. If I haven’t already, I don’t want to set the Guinness World Record for Acc activations.

I’m definitely migrating to Mac. Even if I had an older one with 10.7 all my problems would be solved – I would have my most important programs on it, and there is remote desktop software requiring 10.7 and up that I would use to access a few Windows programs on my laptops. I was surprised how tempted I was to do a hackintosh on my ASUS 13” laptop, which is a good candidate, or to load 10.7 on this Core Duo (it is possible), but I decided to wait patiently for a real one. In the meantime, I’m learning lots and enjoying this MacBook. It is also surprisingly quick, as quick as my Windows i3 with double the RAM.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Michel

I suggest you run BW10 with CrossOver, it works fine on my MBP.

Hallo,

I’m having trouble downloading it at the moment, but I’ll try it.

Hartelijk bedankt