problems with installing 7.2.1 upgrade

Karen Milligan

I purchased my version of Accordance in March of 2007. I was using version 7.1. I had tried to use the Accupdater several times and it was alwasy checking and never seemed to find any updates so today I decided to check on my own on the web page. I found the 7.2.1 update, downloaded and installed it. After that I can not get Accordance to open. It opens the splash screen that tells me it is version 7.2.1 and then it crashes. I read the troubleshooting section on the web page and found the startup file and deleted it as suggested (it wasn't in the place described on the web page but I did find it). This didn't help.

I had not done any other updates. The old accordance folder is still in my trash.

I tried searching the forum but could not find any one else who had reported the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help you can give,

Karen Milligan

The startup file you may need to delete is the one in your user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences. If that does not work, try moving those Accordance Preferences to the desktop and letting Accordance make another copy from the backup preferences in your Accordance folder.

I do not understand why you have an Accordance folder in the trash. What is in it, and where did it come from?

Karen,

You make me a little nervous when you say your old Accordance folder is still in the trash. You mean the old Accordance application file?

Here's what I'd do...

Trash the 7.2.1 application file.

Run your 7.1 installer Cd

Run the 7.2 installer

Get the 7.2.1 application and put it in.

The startup file you may need to delete is the one in your user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences. If that does not work, try moving those Accordance Preferences to the desktop and letting Accordance make another copy from the backup preferences in your Accordance folder.

I do not understand why you have an Accordance folder in the trash. What is in it, and where did it come from?

Thanks. . moving the Accordance Preferences folder to the desktop worked. Now should I trash that folder or move it somewhere else?

Now the Accordance folder in the trash. . . it wasn't there before I did the upgrade. I had assumed that the upgrade moved it there. It has quite a bit in it - the Gloss folder with 4 files, the Manuals & Documents folder with 2 files, the Accordance Preferences folder with 5 files, the Modules folder with 3 folders that are empty, the Temporary Bible Stuff folder with the Widgets and the Accordance application. When I made the original post I wasn't sure what version I was upgraded from so I did a Get Info on this application and found out it was version 7.1.

Thank you so much for your help. everything seems to be working now.

Karen

You can trash that Accordance Preferences folder from the desktop, but DO NOT empty your trash just yet.

Do you run Accordance from your startup drive or another drive?

That folder in the trash sounds like a new installation. Looks like the installer installed the new program into the Trash. Did the installer ask you which Accordance app to update? Please check whether 7.2.1 is in fact in the Accordance folder wherever you keep that, root level or Applications? Please check what version of the app is in the trash.

I run Accordance from my startup drive, this is the only drive I have. The installer did not ask which Accordance app to update. Version 7.1 is in the trash. 7.2.1 is in the accordance folder which I keep in the Applications folder. I was using version 7.1 right before I decided to check on upgrades. I was working on a bible study and I had finished my work for a time. I have been wanting for a while to get the NAS group and the Timeline modules. I decided that before I purchased those I need to make sure that my software was up to date. So I know that at the time I did the upgrade there was no application in the trash.

Everything is still running today. I did go ahead and upgrade from Introductory to Standard Level and purchase the Timeline program. I was able to install all of that successfully.

Thank you for your help,

Karen Milligan

Thank you for the careful details. I will see if I can duplicate the problem, so as to avoid it in future. You can now safely empty the trash.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the careful details. I will see if I can duplicate the problem, so as to avoid it in future. You can now safely empty the trash.

Dr. Brown,

I just read this post after having upgraded one of our Accordance 7.0.1 installs to 7.2.1 and experiencing a similar problem. When moving the Accordance Preferences to the Desktop did not work for me, I became suspicious that I was dealing with a permissions problem. Looking at the Accordance Preferences folder in the /Applications/Accordance, I noticed that the owner of the folder was the administrator account I had used to install the program. I then logged in as that user and Accordance 7.2.1 ran fine. So, I just gave everyone else r/w access to that folder, logged out, logged in as the primary user, and everything worked fine. Perhaps this will help a few others.

Regards,

David Largent - Dallas Theological Seminary

Dave:

There are several problems described above. What exactly was the problem you had that was solved by changing the permissions?

Archived