[Hebrew] finding roots start with

aviv206

How can i find all the roots in the HB that start with one of those letter: ב, ג, ש, ז, ח

Doing it in one search?

Thanx aviv

I think this should do it:

)+b*,+g*,+C*,+z*,+j*(

The "plus" sign in front of a word indicates a root search. The asterisk stands for 0-to-infinite number of characters. Words can be separated by commas and placed in parentheses to perform a search for multiple words.

(If you copy and paste the search, the parentheses and characters will be properly inverted).

Mark

Edited by Mark Allison

Aviv, Did you want sin, shin, or both? The clever thing about Mark’s suggestion is that by using the SHFT-C you use the unpointed shin character, so it finds both shin and sin.

To make it either one particularly, the use lowercase c (sin) or lowercase v (shin). 

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thanx, can i add somthing to control what will be the second and the third letters of the roots?

Thanx aviv

Edited by aviv206

You can use the single character wildcard, the ?. Please see the Help files for details on how to define that character:

Biblical Research and Analyses > Search Criteria > Searches Using Symbols

Thanx Helen but wildcard won't help me. I want to

Find exact roots (more then two different roots) doing

It once.

Thanx aviv

Please give an example. I don't understand whether you want the same second character in each of the words, or what?

What Helen is saying is that you can use a question mark to indicate a single character. You can then indicate in parentheses the characters you want to find.

In the following example, Accordance will look for 1) a root, indicated by the "+" sign; 2) the root must begin with "bet," 3) it must be followed by one character that must be "he" or "resh", followed by 4) 0 or more characters, indicated by the asterisk:

*(rh)?b+

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

Lets say I'd like to find all those roots in the HB:

ש.מ.ש

ה.מ.ה

מ.ו.מ

Thanx aviv

What Helen is saying is that you can use a question mark to indicate a single character. You can then indicate in parentheses the characters you want to find.

In the following example, Accordance will look for 1) a root, indicated by the "+" sign; 2) the root must begin with "bet," 3) it must be followed by one character that must be "he" or "resh", followed by 4) 0 or more characters, indicated by the asterisk:

*(rh)?b+

can I do:

+?(דרג)ט)שעפ)

I want to search for more then one spicfied root in one search.

Thanx aviv

Edited by aviv206

You're right. How about this search. It specifies that the third character must be the same as the first: (1=)???+ 

You can refine it by indicating what the first letter must be: (1=)??(המ)?+ 

Certainly! In the following example: (1=)??(המ)?+ 

1) The "+" indicates that you're looking for a root.

2) The first "?" followed by letters in parentheses specify the letter(s) with which the word must begin.

3) The second "?" indicates that there must be a second letter, but that it can be any letter.

4) The third "?" followed by the (=1) indicates that there must be a third letter, but that it must match the first letter of the word.