Changing fonts in Text Pallette

Jim Poulos

This may have been answered somewhere and if so please direct me.

While diagramming I want to change from one font to another.

At present I do this through the text pallette. But the Helena, which I use often,

is more than half way down the list of fonts so I must go through the process of opening

up the pallete and scroll down to the Helena font each time I want to use it.

The Question: Is there any way to rearrange the list and make helena at the top? If not, is there a way to go directly to

helena font, some short cut or default key?

Thanks for any help.

JP

JP,

Sadly, no. There's not even a font list in a sub-menu in the menu bar to which you could add a key combo shortcut in a third party app (like Quicksilver). Since there is a font submenue, you can create a key trigger for "Helena" using a third-party app like Quicksilver. See more info downstream.

Do keep in mind the the font menu on the text palette defaults to the last item chosen, so you can find Helena, and then click, click, click everything you need to put in Helena.

Let me say, though, that your question confuses me. I can't figure out why you have Greek words in a Diagramming window that didn't keep their font when transfered from a text window. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

I was about to wonder if it was because you create your own words, and just came to the realization that you can't create new words in the Diagramming window. Why not? Perhaps you are creating Greek complements to English by Option dragging. That would make sense. But adding a "Create new word" contextual menu seems like a natural option to add that would skip the work-around of Option dragging.

Joe, thanks for answering.

Let me tell you what I'm doing and maybe you can steer me to an easier way. I am diagramming the greek and also the english from the greek. So the default in the Text Pallete will always be changing.

I'll diagram a sentence in the Greek, not necessarily from scripture. Sometimes I need to create the greek work but I rather get it from some text because only then does the instant detail box show. But then I want to diagram the same sentence in English, albiet, font changes.

With so many changes and corrections I need to toggle from one font to another. To do that I'll need to scrool down each time to helena font each time for one or two words then change back when in English. I was just thinking that there might be an easier way to get back to greek.

But you did give me an idea. I can create the enlish diagram in another window in then drag it into the one I'll save. But no. The default in the text pallete stays the same regardless of which window. So back to the original question.

I'm not sure what you're refering to "contextual window."

Anyway thanks for any help, JimP

Jim,

Knowing precisely what kinds of texts you're working on would help. These are non-canonical texts, then? Josephus or something?

Attaching a picture of a finished product would help illustrate what you're doing, too.

If you are creating words by dragging them in or Option-dragging, I don't understand why you manually need to change fonts. If you are creating a new Greek word, make sure you Option-Drag from another Greek word. Likewise for English. If this is not possible, explain why.

Also, you can Shift-Click individual words to select several and then change their font all at once from the text palette.

Hey Joe,

I simply want to create a greek or english word in the diagram window I am working, It looks like I must scrool to the Hellena or english font each time I want to create a word in a different font then the one showing in the text pallette.

As far as dragging. I haven't found how to drag into a diagram window from a text. I can copy then re-copy in the diagram window but then I lose the instant detail box for the greek word. So I just create another diagram window by highlighting then I can drag.

Jim

Jim,

I am sorry, but I really am not understanding what you are talking about. If you could be clear and precise on steps you're doing, then I could help. Something like:

1. I highlight a verse in GNT-T and create new diagram window with it

2. I highlight a verse in NRSV and create a new diagram window with it as well.

3. I drag some words from one diagram window into the other.

4. I need another Greek word, so I find it in GNT-T, highlight it and create new diagram window so I can drag that word into my first window complete with Instant Details info.

5. I create a non-biblical Greek word by holding down the option key and drag and release a similar Greek word to create a new word of the same Helena font.

Those are all the ways I know of for bringing Greek or English words into a diagram window, and none of them require you manually changing the font of a word.

If you could list the steps you're doing, and also explain the finished product your going for, I could be more help.

Both of you should remember that command [ and ] copy and paste the font and style, so you just click in text whose font and style you want to copy, copy the style, then select and paste the style onto the new text or into the position where you want this same font and style used.

Both of you should remember that command [ and ] copy and paste the font and style...

Copy and paste style doesn't work in a diagramming window.

Correction: I see now that it does work if you double click and open the edit frame of a word. Odd that it doesn't work just by selecting and item, the same way you can when using the Text Palette.

Another solution... Create a key combination for "Helena" submenu item to set a new font.

You should be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to Menu item Display/Font/Helena and others using the built-in Mac OSX Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse pane, Keyboard Shortcuts tab. However, Accordance doesn't play nice with OS X in some regards doesn't make use of some features available only to users with the latest version of OS X... this is one of them. :(

You can, however, use a third party application such as Quicksilver. Quicksilver can access any menu item in an application and assign it a keyboard shortcut trigger. As such, you can simply assign the "Helena" font to Control H and have at it.

I posted a "How To" on my blog here: Access Any Menu Item in Your Application with a Keystroke Using Quicksilver Proxy Objects

Joe,

The command copy/paste a verse or word into the diagram will change the font to the font in the Text pallette. If it is different then what was pasted then the text pallette needs changing to conform to the font of the pasted item.

I think you understand what I'm saying. If I create a word IN the diagram window and the text pallete displays aril for ex. but I want helena, I must change the text pallete to helena by scrolling to helena. This is no big deal I was just wondering if there is away around this.

In Microsoft word, if I did that in a document, format would put the font I use often available at the top of the scroll.

I will try to find some short cuts though.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Jim:

You cannot rearrange the font submenu. There are so many easy solutions:

Create a new word, set it to Helena, then:

option drag it to make another word already in Helena, and edit it

or create another new word, in my program it remembers and keeps Helena in the Text palette

or, if you have a word in the wrong font, click in a word with Helena, press command-[, then select the new word and press command-] to convert it to Helena.

These all seem simple solutions to me.

Helen,

I appreciate your input.

Now it's become simple to me too.

Thanks, Jim P

The command copy/paste a verse or word into the diagram will change the font to the font in the Text pallette. If it is different then what was pasted then the text pallette needs changing to conform to the font of the pasted item.

I think you understand what I'm saying. If I create a word IN the diagram window and the text pallete displays aril for ex. but I want helena, I must change the text pallete to helena by scrolling to helena.

Jim,

I actually don't understand what you're saying. I really meant it when I suggested you spell out your steps. I can not replicate what you are describing... any situation where I'm pasting words into a diagram window and the font of the pasted words is changed based upon what the font the text palette currently reads.

When you say "paste a verse or word into" a diagram window, I don't know what you mean. Do you mean you are double-clicking a text box in a diagram window and adding multiple words to one text box?

When you say "create a word IN the diagram window", I don't know what you mean. How are you creating it? All I know to do is Option-drag from a current word.

What version of Accordance are you using?

Joe,

Create a word by clicking the capital A in the diagramming tools on the left then typing in a word. No dragging. Version 7.2

Jim

Jim,

I never noticed that "A" option. I don't use Diagrams much. It does indeed seem to work as you indicated, with the note that if you haven't yet manually set any fonts, it will default to the font of the original verse you began diagramming.

So, the answer is no, that the font menu can't put "Helena" at the top (like you and I are used to in Word). But, a quick solution is what Helen mentioned... double click a current Greek word, press Command-[ to copy the style, then double click the new word and press Command-] to paste the style.

Or, you could explore an even quicker option setting up a third party solution to assign a keyboard shortcut to "Helena", such as the one I just posted on my blog: Access Any Menu Item in Your Application with a Keystroke Using Quicksilver Proxy Objects

Joe,

Man, Thanks for following me with this. The solutions Helen gave answered more problems than the one I asked.

But thanks for your suggestions. I'll consider them.

Much Thanks,

Jim P

• 2 months later...

There is probably a simple solution to this, it is still within in diagramming so I'll ask it here...

Is there a short cut key for Delete to use with the left hand in the diagramming page?

When I highlight a word in a diagramme and want to delete it, is my only option the delete key?

I can make it a text by double clicking then clear it but that seems as ineffeicient as the delete key. What I'd like is to simply highlight with the cursor then cut or delete in one step or have a command with the left hand to delete.

Thanks for any help.

Jim P

Archived