Icons Associations Missing

Robb B

Since I installed 7.2.1 I have noticed that all the icons that show up in the Finder next to Accordance files, such as user tools, have disappeared and I get that blank sheet of paper icon next to them. Everything works fine in Accordance, but I'm wondering why the icons have gone missing. Thanks!

Did this persist after a reboot?

Did this persist after a reboot?

Yes, that was the first thing I tried, but to no avail.

Can you look inside the app package and see if module.icns is inside the Resources folder? If it is, we have no idea what the problems is, if not, you will have to delete the .app and reinstall it.

It's there. Obviously not a high priority, but if you do find something I'd like to get this back to normal.

I don't know. I'm the only user on my Mac.

I think something is wrong with your system. I would try one of the clean-up tools. I am sure Joe Weaks can suggest some.

Any ideas, Joe? Also, the only associations that are missing are Accordance ones, so this is not a system-wide problem.

Any ideas, Joe? Also, the only associations that are missing are Accordance ones, so this is not a system-wide problem.

Robb, this is not neccessarily true. I have seen system problems manifest themselves in the behaviour of a particular application in numerous ways over the years. This particular problem is almost definitely a system one, because while the icons are in the Accordance application package, it is the system that associates those icons with the various files. So, while the system may only be confused about the Accordance icons, it is still the system that needs to be fixed. The problem in this case may have to do with either permissions or caches. I reccommend OnyX for this type of stuff.

Greg

Greg,

OnyX and a restart did the trick. After running OnyX, several of the icons were fixed, but after I restarted they all came back. Thanks for your help. It must have been something in the DS_Store files since that is the reset that fixed everything. I never even knew OnyX existed! Thanks again.

Robb,

Sorry I never chimed in... been afk a couple days. When I read your initial post, I never really understood what you meant by "all the icons that show up in the Finder next to Accordance files".

If you installed 7.2.1 by dragging the application file into place, it's easy to see how the problem would occur. I'm glad OnyX did the trick.

The first diagnostic question I would have asked is "In what folder do you keep your Accordance folder?"

A. /Applications

B. ~/Applications

C. /

D. other

These file association problems occur more readily if the answer is C or D.

Archived