Scrivener is 50% off

Chuck Schneider

I remember reading somewhere in the forum that several folks either liked or were interested in using Scrivener.

MacUpdate announced that it's 50% off right now, so, if you're interested, here's the link:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22995/scrivener

• Like 1

Chuck, that is a good deal. Thanks for posting. 

I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to the "Mainly Macintosh" forum.

• Like 1

I find Scrivener indispensable in writing my sermons. If you have not purchased Scrivener, I would highly recommend doing it now.

• Like 1

Scrivener is such a good tool for writers, it's a good deal at its regular price, let alone under $25! I can't recommend it highly enough. In fact, as much as I still love Ulysses for Mac, I've recently moved back to Scrivener from Ulysses, and realize how much I really missed Scrivener the couple months I used Ulysses only.

If you write regularly--especially preparing something that utilizes research from multiple sources--Scrivener is indispensable. A perfect complement to Accordance really... and their rumored iPad version appears to actually be on the horizon, too.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I agree - highly recommended and indispensable.

Since it is fully Unicode compliant, whether typing or compiling, it is an excellent tool for biblical and ANE scholars. I'm making a lot of progress with it.

The only thing it lacks for those working in multiple languages is a recently used fonts menu. However, I found out from their support team that you can type the first letter of a font name to navigate more quickly to a desired font.

Regards,

Michel

Never heard of Scrivener before - looks pretty good though..

They have a free trial. Well worth checking out.

Thanks Abram, I'll give it a try! If it's any good at handling multiple Semitic scripts other than just Hebrew, then I'll most likely invest in it.

It handled every Unicode script I tried, including hieroglyphs, whether typing in the program or compiling into another format, e.g., rtf.

You write in Scrivener, then compile into a format that can be recognized by your word processor.

The sale ends in 7 ½ hours. So try it quickly!

The sale seems to have ended for me - must be a time zone thing. Oh well. I'll check it out none the less..

Not all is lost. There is an academic discount ("education licence"), and, the great thing about the trial version is that it's for 30 non-contiguous days.

That's wild - I show 9 hours left - that is unusual. They are terminating the sale based on the local time of the buyer not the local time of the seller. I don't think I've seen that before.

Thx

D

Not all is lost. There is an academic discount ("education licence"), and, the great thing about the trial version is that it's for 30 non-contiguous days.

You're right, Michel! Well, sort of - I'm technically still a student although I've just finished my master's degree now that my thesis has been evaluated. It just hasn't been registered in the "official" records yet. It should be a matter of two, maybe three days. I guess I'd be stretching it a bit by applying for an academic/education discount..

That's wild - I show 9 hours left - that is unusual. They are terminating the sale based on the local time of the buyer not the local time of the seller. I don't think I've seen that before.

Thx

D

I've noticed it a few times by now - in fact, I can't think of when the opposite was the case. Hm.

Edited by Pchris

Interesting. The Accordance sale terminates in EDT - "Sale prices remain through midnight (EDT), June 8"

Oh well - live and learn.

Congrats on finishing the Masters.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Interesting. The Accordance sale terminates in EDT - "Sale prices remain through midnight (EDT), June 8"

Oh well - live and learn.

Congrats on finishing the Masters.

Thx

D

Oh yeah, so it does! This is normally not the case for me when I shop online, though. And thank you very much, Daniel - while it was definitely fun and challenging to write the thesis, it's also a relief to have it over with. Now I can focus on other things again.

I'm considering purchasing this as both a Windows and a Mac version. So the sale price You saw was $22.50 a piece, right? (I might add $9.99 to have one copy shipped on a USB memory stick as I would need some memory sticks anyway and I can't seem to find any free or really cheap ones over here. Download is free after purchase whether with or without a USB stick being shipped.)

The sale seems to have ended for me - must be a time zone thing. Oh well. I'll check it out none the less..

That's weird, when I go to that link, it says "5 days and 6 hours left".

Hi,

The sale seems to have ended for me

They extended the sale for another 5+ days.

I'm considering purchasing this as both a Windows and a Mac version. So the sale price You saw was $22.50 a piece, right?

This is from http://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/purchasing-and-installation/can-i-use-my-license-on-more-than-one-computer

When you purchase a license for Scrivener, you automatically receive what we call a "household" licence for the platform you selected. What we mean by this is as follows:

• You can install and run Scrivener on any machines you own and of which you are the predominant user.
  • You can install and run Scrivener on any machines based predominantly in your house and used by family members living with you.
  • This only applies to machines running the platform covered by your licence (you cannot use a Mac serial number with the Windows version or vice versa, because the Mac and Windows versions are separate development efforts).

On a different note, the dageshes in Hebrew pasted from Logos into Scrivener were misplaced, but the Hebrew pasted from Accordance was almost perfect. See screenshot:

post-32543-0-82712000-1433345678_thumb.png

Regards,

Michel

One other thing I noticed. If you go to Scrivener's own site (https://www.literatureandlatte.com) the discount is not mentioned. So it seems it's some deal via macupdate which may mean that Windows doesn't apply. At least I could not see a discount for windows anywhere, nor any discount for the mac/windows combo.

Thx

D

It's there:

post-32543-0-21309700-1433353792_thumb.png

By the way, I have no financial interest in this software. I just think it's excellent.

I see it now - thanks.

Thx

D

If having a debit card in a country where State is N/A (shouldn't be filled out) or other than two tokens (i.e. "N/A" can't even be filled out because that's three tokens) - I tried all kinds of abbreviations, the purchase can't be made in any other way than by Paypal.

If having a debit card in a country where State is N/A (shouldn't be filled out) or other than two tokens (i.e. "N/A" can't even be filled out because that's three tokens) - I tried all kinds of abbreviations, the purchase can't be made in any other way than by Paypal.

I just wrote the ISO 3166 code (which would be "DK" in my case and "SE" in your case) and it worked just fine. 

Edited by Pchris