Mac adventure

Michel Gilbert

Hey Michel,

On the win 10 updates - yes I've not upgraded yet - how frequently are you seeing patching on the Home edition ? I have both Home and Pro editions of Windows.

Curious because while I agree that keeping stuff patched up is basically goodness constant interruption is very irritating.

Thx

D

Hey Daniel,

I agree with you.

I've never found Windows stable enough to leave on all the time, especially after a few sleep/wake cycles, so I've never scheduled updates for the wee hours of the morning. I just turn off my machines at night and restart them every morning. And, I always turned off automatic updates and did them manually. I can still control the updates in W10 Pro, but W10 downloads them automatically.

I use my Home Edition as a remote desktop viewer, usually at night, so I haven't used it that much. But a couple of days ago it notified me without warning that it was installing updates. I could have scheduled a restart time, but there is no option for when I actually restart it in the am. Without scheduling a time, Windows restarts automatically, choosing a time at idle, which turns out to be unpredictable. It is also annoying to come back to your computer expecting to pick up where you left off, and see the sign in screen. So I chose to restart right away, and it took almost 15 minutes. This has happened a few times already.

I guess I never knew how annoying this all was until I started using my MacBook. Installing, updating, and uninstalling programs usually didn't require a restart. And since I only have Snow Leopard, there were only a few OS updates. I actually felt a calmness and serenity in OSX.

Otherwise, W10 is very stable so far. I found W8.1 the same. But I never really used W8.1. On the third day I bought Start8 that brought back the W7 Start Button. So, W10 is almost identical to my W8.1 setup. I just chose to keep a few tiles in the Start menu - Control Panel, Run, Cmd, etc. The only issue I've had is that Office 365 won't update, continuing the tradition of bugs in its own OS.

Btw, I only use W10 as a local account, and I turned off almost every Privacy setting that Microsoft had turned on.

Regards,

Michel

If you like it you can look into Hackintosh.. . . 

I've thought about it. Probably not the right Forum to discuss it.  :) 

Sell the current Windows desktop.

Buy a Mac.

Run both Mac and Windows applications on it.

. . . but that wouldn't even amount to a 10% downpayment. It might not even pay for W10.  :)

Btw, I would prefer to work in OS X and use some Windows programs in a remote desktop. So, I decided to try again, this time with NoMachine. I'm starting with the 7 pass erase this time, so I might be able to install SL again late this afternoon.

Regards to both.

I don't usually experience stability issues on Windows, touch wood. I usually only reboot for patching (unless I'm travelling somewhere with the laptop). I do sleep or hibernate (the laptop not me alas :) ), usually the latter, nightly on my laptop. Another machine runs constantly and it is not normally shutdown. A second laptop takes a bit of a beating, first being a cheapo box, and secondly using various edu/game sites which do horrible things to browsers I suspect so it gets a reboot more frequently. These are all win 7.

My Mac on the other hand has an issue where about every week or so I need to reboot it to quiet an out of control fan. Still haven't been able to track that down. Just doesn't hurt enough to really go after it - dodgey temp sensor I suspect but oh well.

Win 10 I would hope will settle down on the patching front once the initial patch phase passes but this may be a vain hope. Otherwise they need to make it less intrusive.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

Hey Michel,

On the win 10 updates - yes I've not upgraded yet - how frequently are you seeing patching on the Home edition ? I have both Home and Pro editions of Windows.

Curious because while I agree that keeping stuff patched up is basically goodness constant interruption is very irritating.

Thx

D

Hey Daniel,

More information about updates:

Right now W10 Home is automatically downloading. It’s about the fourth time in a week. I’m writing this on my Mac as W10 is restarting. As I glance over, it’s taking longer than it should. Now it says, "We couldn’t complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don’t turn off your computer.” This is ridiculous.

But even more shocking, my internet connection has been very slow of late, even down to 100 kb/sec downloads. So I did some searching and found out that my computer’s bandwidth is being used to download W10! See the article, “Windows 10 commandeers users' upload bandwidth” at http://www.computerworld.com/article/2955288/microsoft-windows/windows-10-commandeers-users-upload-bandwidth.html

After I read this I checked, and sure enough, it was turned on.

This is unbelievable to me.

Regards,

Michel

[edited the url]

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Thanx for the update Michel.

Yep I've read about WUDO. I must say that so far I have not been impressed by what I have heard that has been turned on by default - WUDO, Wifi Sense, forced updates, resetting defaults like your browser of choice etc. I am watching the dust settle at the moment and mulling over what to do with my Win 7 boxes. Linux is looking better and better but honestly that's a bunch of work too. All the windows stuff can be dealt with but the defaults, or notification (smaller blue type on blue background for the note on retaining current default settings) are not how I would set them.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

I agree, I can deal with the settings, but I can’t deal with the interruptions and lack of real transparency. Now it’s downloading the same update, KB3081444. As soon as it’s successful, I’ll downgrade to W8.1.

Regards