Help with using "Import User Tool"

Michael Dearinger

I have a text file of Charles Bridges' Proverbs. I have been painstakingly changing the Roman numerals to common numbers so that they can be hyperlinked in Accordance. I'm close to being done and was testing the current revision but I can't get it to import. I'm uploading the file to see if anyone else can import it or can at least steer me in the right direction. Thank you.

Proverbs (Charles Bridges).txt

Hello Michael

I don't see you problem, but my suggestions are

1. Convert it as RTF or similar .odt .doc(x) 

2. Give Headers, so you have then a list of contents in the tool browser.

3. In LibreOffice or Similar Offices, under Tool, AutoCorrect, Options on the last line tick the 50% or another %, then O.K. See pic..

4. Select the Standard Paragraphs and ...

5. Then Format, AutoCorrect, Apply. So you have a nicer format. The ¶ at every end of a line comes from the Prehistoric Dino time... 

6. Correct the verse notations to the one  which Accordance is able to read. http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX11/Default.htm#topics/04_gswa/verse_searches.htm#text_abbreviationsList of Accordance Book abbreviation.

6. Save as .html and add it over the Import funktion http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX11/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/html_import.htm#kanchor408

Greetings

Fabian

post-32723-0-72638100-1427991033_thumb.png

Edited by Fabian

Thank you, Fabian. Those are very helpful suggestions. I know it is still in rough format but I was just testing it so far.

This big question though is ... did it import successfully for you?

As html "Yes", but Accordance has some problems it is now slow like . . . . . 

And the Links comes not!

Attention: Accordance has at the moment a bug by importing User Tools. See http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/14845-european-notation/?hl=%2Beuropean+%2Bnotation

Have you checked all on on the prefences as SBL and German Notation ? Test with different options.

Greetings

Fabian

I still can't import it. It fails right in the middle of the update. It starts by saying something like "multiline label" then it says, "updating" then stops. The resulting user tool is empty. Fabian, I'm not sure how you got it to import.

Hello Michael

What you have is a normal behavior if Accordance can't read a character.

I had this often, till I understand that in the File has a unicode character oder similar sign. 

Sorry I don't tell you that, that I saw the "‡" and some apostrophe which are turned "‘" in the document maybe this is the problem if you use an older Version of Accordance. Even at the moment you can only by texts and notes import unicode. For tools it will come in a future update. But with ≈10.3 Accordance has made some improvements and the import is much better since then. 

I see in your profile that you are using 9, maybe an upgrade is not the worst decision. 

I send you first the rough version. Try this.

Greetings

Fabian

Proverbs (Charles Bridges).acc7.zip

Edited by Fabian

Fabian, thanks again for your comments. I am using 11.0.4 but just haven't updated my profile in a long time. I changed my profile to reflect that. I was able to import your version of the Proverbs file into Accordance. I have done a lot of editing since I sent you the original file as per your suggestions. Is there a way I can search for the unicodes that are giving me problems as I still can't import my own copy of the file.

Hello Michael

Yes, download TextWrangler http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.htmlor maybe you prefer the MacApp Store version for free. BBEdit is the greater brother but for $50.

After you load the document you can on the bottom change from UTF-8 or whatever to "Western (Mac OS Roman)" and just right to "Classic Mac CR". At the moment the right choices. When you'll save the it gives you the character that are incompatible with the Accordance standard.

Best, copy your file and change it to txt and then change the unicode characters in the original file with search and replace with one you have on your Mac Keyboard or is listed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_Roman.

This tool is also great to prepare User Bibles. 

I don't know why you had problems to import. By me it works fine as txt and html import. Only as html, Accordance was then slow. 

Greetings

Fabian

Don't forget: Ken is hungry to post free stuff on Accordance Exchange :ph34r:  

I'm getting frustrated and ready to give up. I have replaced the characters below with more common characters in the document and yet still can't import it whether I convert it to text or html. Accordance needs to have a log when importing to reveal to you where the import went wrong so it can be fixed.

†  ‡  § 

By the way, I'm uploading my latest revisions (in html). I'm still working on getting all roman numerals in verse references converted and have done the majority. I'm also working on the formatting and cleaning it up. It's a work in progress but perhaps someone can download this and tell me what the issue is or if I'm just missing a unicode character.

Proverbs.zip

Hello Michael

Finding Walter!

Duplicate the the File and delete some part on the beginning. After you can't import, delete some again. 

I do it so for you...

Then you will find out that the problem is what I have linked you before. You have a curious verse notation here in your file. Thats why I lead you to the common Accordance Abbreviation. 

First you have some "Luke, 1:4" = kill the commas after the book name. Second you have some Luke xxiii 4 instead of Luke 23:4 so the Auto-Link works not. Even the point after the verses delete. Like "Luke 1:1."This are only examples you have to go through your document. Best with a Regular expression (Regex) search. It calls in Word "pattern search" in TextEdit "Grep search"

But the Real problem is a point after the chapters like Ps. 1.1 instead of Ps 1:1 and I believe 1 Kings 1.something I found also. 

Accordance is very strict what it accept. Cons, you have be exactly, Pro, I believe this is one point that it is so fast.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Good idea, Fabian ... doing it a section at a time. I realize I have not sussed out all of the roman numerals yet. I initially did a search and replace for those and got the majority of them but there were a few that didn't follow the pattern and I'm working on those little by little. However, I didn't think that would be the issue since you can do the auto link after you import. I didn't know it would try to do it on the fly. Anyway, I'm going to try your suggestion and import it a section at a time. Thanks again for your willingness to help. Blessings!

Hello Michael

I even saw also some e.g. Gen 2:7,9 instead of Gen 2:7, 9

Since the Auto-Link function is working it is necessary that the verse notations are correct or (absolutely incorrect so that Accordance it doesn't recognize) but a little wrong and Accordance crash the import.

Greetings

Fabian

Hello Michael

If I tick only on the German Notation in the prefs. Then I can import it. So the problem is definitely the strange verse notations. Like my 2. answer: try different settings.

But how I wrote above, do what my 1. answer was and then clean the verse notations. So you will have the best choice.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Fabian,

I finally did it. It wasn't unicodes at all. I ended up only changing 2 things - an extra 1 in a Romans reference and period in a reference that didn't belong. What's crazy is those kinds of mistakes are found throughout the document but it was only those 2 that were preventing Accordance from importing. Thanks for all of your help. Now massive editing awaits me.

Edited by Michael Dearinger

Hello Michael

Great. Thanks for your replay.

Greetings

Fabian