Android App

benjamincripps

Hello,

I would like to formally ask that an Android version of Accordance be offered. I've used Accordance since 2006 and have a good investment in the program. I have used my Mac and iPad for years, but have in the past two years switched over to Android for my phone, and would do so quickly for my tablet if not for Accordance not being supported. Please do consider doing this for the Android population!

Benjamin

It's in the planning stages. It will eventually happen--just not immediately.

Well at least you got a real, knowledgable answer.... From what has been said in the past I thought it was actually under development. It is possible that major portions of the iOS APP might be able to be adapted so it might not be a huge wait. Of course I am no programer and could be very wrong.

-Dan

• 2 weeks later...

This would be great! I'd love to have Accordance on my tablet so I don't have to cart my laptop everywhere! Any idea of when we could expect such a thing?

• 1 month later...

I am new to Accordance and I find it very good.  Plus, the support is awesome.  However, I do not have any iOS products and, since we only have 1 PC at home, I usually have to wait until my wife and daughter finish taking turns using the computer before I can open up Accordance.  I am so tempted to buy resources from another Bible software vendor (not the vendor with the blue logo, I switched already from them because the indexing kept crashing the PC) just because they are available on Android, but I am doing my best to save for buying them from Accordance instead.  

So, this is a +1 for me for the request to have Accordance available for Android soon.

Edited by alagad_ng_diyos

I have no idea when the Android App is coming but you might pick up an older iPad mini (all  versions of the mini are capable of using the latest iOS but the) looking online at bay it appears it would be pretty inexpensive to grab a mini (heck I know of banks giving them away for opening a new bank account.

-Dan

deleted. 

Edited by Dan Francis

I have no idea when the Android App is coming but you might pick up an older iPad mini (all  versions of the mini are capable of using the latest iOS but the) looking online at bay it appears it would be pretty inexpensive to grab a mini (heck I know of banks giving them away for opening a new bank account.

-Dan

Hi Dan,

It's good to know that the iPad Mini could be upgraded to the latest iOS version.  And having watched a few videos of Accordion in action on iOS, it looks great.  However, my Nexus 10 is fairly new and I am curious to see how Accordance would look and function when it is released on Android.  Plus, the rest of the family, including my siblings, parents and our pastors mainly use Android.  I have been recommending Accordance to my pastor friends and a couple seem interested and are considering getting it on Windows.  Having Accordance on Android would definitely be a big incentive for them in getting it though.

In the meantime, I will let them know they can use Accordance with the iPad Mini, and maybe persuade them to buy second-hand units.  I'm not sure though if and when they will jump from Android to iOS seeing that Apple products are really more expensive, especially for us here in Asia.

Thanks again, Dan!  :) 

my Nexus 10 is fairly new and I am curious to see how Accordance would look and function when it is released on Android.  

Hi,

There is another possibility for the Nexus 10.

There seems to be a race between Accordance on Linux or Android. If Linux wins, Nexus is one of the few tablets that you can install Linux on. See http://lifehacker.com/how-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-on-your-android-device-1577325241

Perhaps Acc could offer a yearly sale with a percentage of the proceeds going towards Linux and Android development.

Regards,

Michel

Several message threads over the years have asked for Accordance for Android.  Android's share of the worldwide phone and tablet continues to grow.  A quick Google check...

For phones...

"Android increased its share of the smartphone OS market to 81.5 percent in 2014 from 78.7 percent, while iOS' share shrunk to 14.8 percent from 15.1 percent. according to IDC."  Feb 24, 2015

For tablets...

In the study, Gartner found that Android now has 61.9 percent of the tablet market share, a 116 percent increase from its 2012 market share, which stood at 45.8 percent. This is compared to iOS, which saw its tablet market share decrease to 36 percent from 52.8 percent in 2012. Even though Apple was able to hold on to the higher end of the market with the iPad and iPad Mini, Gartner attributes Android’s newly-acquired number one position in the tablet space to the increased availability of cheap, but suitably powered, Android tablets.  Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-overtakes-ipad-tablet-market-share-gartner/#ixzz3bdWIb5HT Mar 4, 2014

These market share figures and share trends would be hard to ignore I would think.

• Like 1

Android is obviously a very important OS and Accordance is planning on if not actively working on getting an APP up and running on it. But it could well be months away if not longer (I feel safe in saying months since if it was less than 2 months away I would expect to see ACC asking for volunteer Beta testing it). I mentioned one of the cheapest ways to get a good iOS device based on the fact that the Android APP while coming is far off. This morning I just watched a video talking about the up coming Olivetree release of the new Android APP. And while it looks interesting, the speed and function it described confused me a bit since I already experience this on my iPad/iPhone, which makes me wonder how bad the old android version was. I at first was feeling cheated.. Why is a new android 6.0 coming out for android only.... In the end it was likely Android needed the most work. 

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

To develop for Linux seems like a better idea to me, since those with Linux have saved on operating system expenses they'd afford to buy more in Accordance. Also, I know a Bible translator who is working on translating the Hebrew Bible to English and he uses Linux - for many books he has to go with printed matter and he would likely become an Accordance customer if he could install it on Linux, and his project is probably taking several more years. Linux would also likely offer a little more functionality than Android.
I agree that a sale could specifically fund development:

There is another possibility for the Nexus 10.

There seems to be a race between Accordance on Linux or Android. If Linux wins, Nexus is one of the few tablets that you can install Linux on. See http://lifehacker.com/how-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-on-your-android-device-1577325241

Perhaps Acc could offer a yearly sale with a percentage of the proceeds going towards Linux and Android development.

To develop for Linux seems like a better idea to me,

I agree that a sale could specifically fund development:

Hi Unix,

Here's why I agree with you.

If I recall correctly, Dr. J. said something to the effect that one of the reasons for developing Acc for Windows was to support brothers and sisters who couldn't afford high prices of Macs for Acc, especially in developing countries. The same rationale would apply to Linux. I also know that many in the developed world would jump to Linux if Acc ran in it.

As far as I can tell from the Logos forums, they won't be developing a Linux version, and no one has been successful in installing it in Linux. Acc would be doing a great service by offering a Linux and Android version, with the possibility of dual booting in an Android device.

Even if my sale idea isn't feasible, I think there are many who would support Acc in tangible ways to develop these platforms.

Hopefully there is a time for Acc in Linux, and a time for Acc in Android, followed by a time to dance, a time laugh, and a time to embrace.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Even if my sale idea isn't feasible, I think there are many who would support Acc in tangible ways to develop these platforms.

Hopefully there is a time for Acc in Linux, and a time for Acc in Android, followed by a time to dance, a time laugh, and a time to embrace.

Regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,  

I think that a sale may be feasible for the development of the app itself but not for the support.  They will need to raise funds for additional hardware (servers, mainly) and assign more people (devs and customer support) to handle all things related to the Android platform.  But if they get this up and running, I believe the investment will be worth it.

God bless!

• 1 month later...

I've recently parted ways with the iOS platform...I've been an iPhone user since gen 1, but sadly, I had to admit that the quality / stability / innovation has taken a turn for the worst since Cook has been at the helm.  Added to this, I've been having MAJOR problems with iOS 8 (the buggiest iOS I've ever used, Yosemite, iCloud backup, iMessage sync, etc.).  I work in the private cloud / SDN team for my company so I have a strong technical background.  I'm sad to see Apple losing what made them so unique and successful at creating great products.

All that being said, this makes me need Accordance on Android for my Samsung Galaxy S6 (this phone is really amazing).  I just thought to add my vote for this.  I have both Accordance and Logos, but Accordance is my go to and not having Accordance for my S6 is forcing me to use Logos.  I really love Accordance on my Mac and iOS.  I'm hoping that I can continue that experience to my S6.

Anything that can be done to help work towards this end would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by yellowchops
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Android will be fabulous!! Super glad an Accordance app is in development. Thanks!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am glad to hear there is serious conversation about making Accordance a cross platform tool. Accordance needs to be on any device. You have a great product. Android users need this tool. I use a kindle fire hdx. Currently I run Logos on the Kindle for bible study. But I would rather have an integrated study environment between my mac and kindle. 

Ben 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I recently went to Android (from iPhone) for my phone due to the Note 5 stylus. I really, really miss my Accordance app terribly. I can't wait until this is done.

At the BT2015 conference this year, SIL International showed their new Scripture App Builder (free for anyone to use) which currently makes Android-only apps (iOS is next on their list). They gave some very compelling statistics on smartphone usage worldwide. Right now, according to the paper I heard, 80% of smartphones worldwide are Android devices and you can get cheap ones in Africa and Asia for $30. I'm glad to see that Accordance is working to meet the market where it is and bring Accordance to Android. 

• Like 1

Hi Daniel,

I get frequent reports about the popularity of Android and Linux in Africa and Asia, due to low cost. I also get reports about difficulties connecting to the Internet and its slow speed, so in many cases Acc on Android, which doesn't require an Internet connection after modules are downloaded, would be better than Logos, which requires an active connection for some of its features.

These are the reasons I also support Acc porting to Linux. Android tablets with Intel chips will be able to run Crossover ( https://www.codeweavers.com/porting/android ), which could run a full Acc version, albeit with some limitations. 

I didn't know about the SIL App. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

This is a bump just to say, that I'm eagerly waiting for an Android version of Accordance...

• Like 1

I have no information on when it will be out but I do know they have been working on it. Hopefully one day soon you Android users will hear more on a timeline for release, but I do know that until beta testing starts Accordance has stated they are not willing to offer you a date that unforeseen problems could derail.

-Dan