Mellel to Word Hebrew problems

Peter Bekins

I have written a chapter for an edited volume using Mellel, and the editor would like it submitted in Word format. When I began writing, I assumed that I could simply export the file to .doc using Mellel's export function, but when I do this all the unicode Hebrew formatting becomes mixed up (not just word order, but letter order is even wrong in some places, not to mention the niqqud). The same thing happens when I try to export as .rtf. I realize now that in the past everything I have exported as .doc has used either transliteration or non-unicode fonts.

Does anyone have any experience getting a Mellel file into Word format without screwing up the Hebrew? (I am hoping to avoid solutions that involve getting my hands on a PC or running a windows emulator on my Mac, etc.)

Pete

The problem is with Word for the Mac--it doesn't handle right to left languages. This is the dirty little secret of Macintosh academia. 

Your best bet is going to probably get access to a Windows computer with Word. The conversion from Mellel to Word is probably sound--but on Word for Windows, not Word for Mac. 

Another option might be to download the current Mac Office beta for the next version. Word seems to handle right to left a little bit better than before, but it's still not as good as the Windows version. 

Rick, thank you for attempting to help, but this is not the problem. I am aware of the fact that Word for Mac cannot handle unicode RTL text (and I also understand why this is so), which is why I use Mellel. It is precisely when I export to the Word format and then try to open the file on a windows computer that the formatting is screwy.

Pete

Rick, thank you for attempting to help, but this is not the problem. I am aware of the fact that Word for Mac cannot handle unicode RTL text (and I also understand why this is so), which is why I use Mellel. It is precisely when I export to the Word format and then try to open the file on a windows computer that the formatting is screwy.

Pete

I've seen cases where certain formatting is not accurately retained (like tables, etc) when exporting from Mellel to RTF, but Hebrew character and word order should be fine. This might be worth investigating with Mellel on their forums or support email. I am curious to hear the outcome.

Their forums had been down, which is why I asked here, but they seem to be up again now, so I will see what I can find there.

Their forums had been down, which is why I asked here, but they seem to be up again now, so I will see what I can find there.

If you want to send me a sample, I'd be happy to try and export it and open in Windows to see how it looks. Message me through the forum and I'll reply with my address.

On a Mac, exporting a document from Mellel (3.3.8b3) as a Word (.doc) document, then opening it in Word 2015 (15.8.0) does not work. The Hebrew word order is [still] reversed, line by line. Exporting as .rtf does not correct the problem.

Sorry.

I guess I was in the mood for a puzzle to solve today; ha! I've been emailing Peter back and forth. I pinpointed the issue, and surprisingly it appears to be on Mellel here. We've got a messy workaround he can use, but Mellel needs to address this.

And yes, Tim's right; Word for Mac (Preview) is no help.

• Like 1