Can't search for single Hebrew lemma

Brian W. Davidson

When I run a lemma search on a verb or a noun, the mobile app (2.0) searches for the verb or noun lemma but it includes attached segments like waw. This limits the results. Am I missing something? Just want to find all instances of single words.

Edited by bdavidson792

If I can guess what's happening, it is that the Mobile app (like the Desktop app when you right click a word) selects the entire word with Hebrew prefixes or suffixes by default and runs the search on that entity. On Mobile we do not currently support selecting part of the word to run the search on, so you will need to edit the search entry and remove those parts from the search and re-run it. 

Hi bdavidson, since you are a newbie to the forums I am going to make a small assumption that you might be a little newbie to Accordance as well. Please forgive me if that assumption is awry. To do what Rick suggested, do this.

First - select your word, amplify and do a lemma search. result will be something like this

post-29509-0-80030700-1426817148_thumb.png

you will see that both parts of the word are in the search (green underline)

Tap anywhere on the text and the search bar will appear.

post-29509-0-22407700-1426817151_thumb.png

tap on the magnifying glass on the right (green circle) - this will reveal the search terms in the search entry bar (green box)

post-29509-0-76119200-1426817156_thumb.png

tap in that bar and edit your search entry (difficult with hebrew but doable). (green box)

post-29509-0-71561300-1426817158_thumb.png

When you have deleted the part(s) you didn’t want, tap the magnifying glass icon in the bottom right and voila, search performed on just the word you wanted. (green underline)

post-29509-0-67613000-1426817160_thumb.png

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Thanks, Ken!

Thanks, Ken and Rick. This is indeed what I have been doing.

Another work around is to use the instant details to figure out exactly how the lemma is referred to (to see if there is a homograph number) and then type the lemma (with homograph number) directly into the search box.