search for predicate nominative--error message

A. Smith

I recognize this has been discussed before, but I don't understand it. I'm searching for a pn with the following construct and I get the error message displayed in the pic. It says, "a compliment or adjunct cannot be used directly in a clause but only inside a subject or predicate phrase."post-29320-0-81991800-1423667678_thumb.png

OK. I don't understand that but I'm no linguist. So I do this:post-29320-0-88339900-1423667801_thumb.png

And get the error in the pic: "When a phrase has two or more items each item must be at the same hierarchical level" Alright, again, doesn't make sense to me but I try something else: post-29320-0-05273400-1423667920_thumb.png

Well, that works. But it doesn't. I don't even get John 1.1.

Now, I know there are much simpler ways to search for this construction:post-29320-0-10133400-1423668128_thumb.png

But, if one wants to employ the syntax tagging, how is it done? Moreover, how, then, can I find a pn construct that has no explicit subject (rather, it's implied in the verb)? I've tried searching with null (which, according to an earlier post doesn't quite work with greek (why???) and I've tried negating the subject with NOT, still to no avail. post-29320-0-02571400-1423668362_thumb.png. I've tried several other iterations as well. 

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain to me the logic of the syntax tagging and searching. Teach me to fish so I can feed myself, please!

You need to think hierarchically rather than linearly. And also think phrasally. Take your second search and put the subject inside an subject phrase (on equal level with predicate phrase) and then the complement inside a complement phrase (which is inside the predicate phrase and try that. (I'm on an iPad so can't run it for you right now.)

On the issue of null subjects, I believe the NT module parted theoretical ways with our principles on that issue and did not tag such clauses as having a null subject. If I remember correctly, such clauses actually have *no* subject. I don't know how to search for this. Perhaps use NOT on the subject phrase.

Hey Anthony,

Predicate nominative turned out to be harder to find (Jn 1:1 in particular) than I first thought when I tried this. To find all cases and weed out false positives is involved. But check out http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/14751-lxx-versification-issues-for-user-tool/where this was discussed recently if you haven't already seen it. I attached a note on that thread with constructs and results that I found.

thx

D

nevermind

Edited by A. Smith