is it possible to change the Hebrew font?

dylanaver

Hello.

I'm using Accordance mostly for the study of the old testament, using the Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica) Tagged (HMT-W4). the problem is, the default font for the text is 'Yehudit', which is VERY uncomfortable to work with. is there any way to change that font (SBL Hebrew Font would be nice)?  

the font selection in the 'set display text' window is grayed out. tried to paste the font file (ttf) into the fonts folder (Accordance\Resources\Fonts) and rename it 'Yehudit' but the text appeared as gibberish.

I know I can change the font via export, but I'm looking for a way to change the display font inside Accordance. 

using Accordance 11, windows 7.

thanks in advance.

Hey –  When you export, even to your User Notes, you can use whatever unicode font you choose, but within the texts (EDIT: and Tools), Yehudit and Helena are non-negotiable.  Helen recommended Cardo for Hebrew export, and I like it better than SBL.  For Greek I'm using Galatia SIL, which I strongly prefer over SBL Greek (I don't like the slant of the font, and it is too compressed for me to read it easily).

If you check the Accordance keyboard layout for Hebrew, it's not the same as either the Hebrew Qwerty or the Israeli, though we can choose Israeli layout in the Acc Prefs.

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 3

Hey –  When you export, even to your User Notes, you can use whatever unicode font you choose, but within the texts (EDIT: and Tools), Yehudit and Helena are non-negotiable.  Helen recommended Cardo for Hebrew export, and I like it better than SBL.  For Greek I'm using Galatia SIL, which I strongly prefer over SBL Greek (I don't like the slant of the font, and it is too compressed for me to read it easily).

If you check the Accordance keyboard layout for Hebrew, it's not the same as either the Hebrew Qwerty or the Israeli, though we can choose Israeli layout in the Acc Prefs.

thank you for your reply.

too bad though, I can spend hours of reading and studying the text, and 'Yehudit' font is extremely uncomfortable and hard to understand (especially when trying to read with cantillation)

I don't know Hebrew well enough to judge that part.  I'm always looking for a font that is sufficiently wide.  I find all narrow fonts hard on my eyes.  Maybe when I know a bit more Hebrew, I may become more of a Hebrew-font-connoisseur.

• Like 1

As for me, I'm fine with Yehudit. But I guess that's because my font of choice outside of Accordance is Ezra SIL/Ezra SIL SR with both being identical to Yehudit anyway, (especially SR when it comes to cantillation). SBL Hebrew looks fine, as opposed to SBL Greek like Julie said.

Dylan, what is it exactly that makes Yehudit uncomfortable to work with concerning the cantillation? I can read it okay. Sometimes, though, when the font is too small, cantillation and vowel signs may collide with each other. Is this what you were referring to?

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

I've noticed that in the Windows version of Accordance, sometimes the Hebrew is not as clean looking if it is too small--and often the default size is too small. Notice how much a difference moving the font up one click makes in this screenshot. These are the same texts side by side, but the one on the right is significantly easier to read, and all I did was enlarge the font by one click.

Screenshot (6).png

As for me, I'm fine with Yehudit. But I guess that's because my font of choice outside of Accordance is Ezra SIL/Ezra SIL SR with both being identical to Yehudit anyway, (especially SR when it comes to cantillation). SBL Hebrew looks fine, as opposed to SBL Greek like Julie said.

Dylan, what is it exactly that makes Yehudit uncomfortable to work with concerning the cantillation? I can read it okay. Sometimes, though, when the font is too small, cantillation and vowel signs may collide with each other. Is this what you were referring to?

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

"Sometimes, though, when the font is too small, cantillation and vowel signs may collide with each other" - exactly. with sbl Hebrew it wont happen. so, if I want to be able to read correctly I need enlarge the font, which is very unconformable (8-9 sentences on screen).  add to that the fact that sometimes I work with my laptop (13.3 inch),  so in this scenario the big font issue is getting ridiculous (3 - 4 sentence on screen). with sbl you can work with size 10 - 12 easily, with Yehudit  the minimum font  size is16 - 17, if not more. 

I've noticed that in the Windows version of Accordance, sometimes the Hebrew is not as clean looking if it is too small--and often the default size is too small. Notice how much a difference moving the font up one click makes in this screenshot. These are the same texts side by side, but the one on the right is significantly easier to read, and all I did was enlarge the font by one click.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreenshot (6).png

exactly my point.

I wonder if this is due to a general programming issue - I made a thread a while ago about a similar problem with Muraoka's Hebrew Grammar where letters in the paradigms are partially missing depending on what size the font is. 

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/15116-layout-issues-with-jouon-muraokas-grammar-of-biblical-hebrew/

exactly my point.

Well, maybe not :-)

The point that I was trying to make was that minimal adjustment made a big difference in readability. That screenshot I provided was from an 8" Windows tablet. I would think that a 13" screen would allow for significantly more content at a very readable size. I know that I don't have any problem on my 15" Acer.

Of course, Windows computers often have inconsistent resolutions, which can cause problems as well.

• 2 years later...

HI,

I wonder if it is now possible to change the Hebrew font in Accordance. I would like to read text in SBL Hebrew font. The Yehudit font is very uncomfortable, especially when I am reading large amount of texts.

Any word on that?

• Like 1

You can export to any font, but no, Hebrew texts within Accordance work only with the Yehudit font.

It sounds like the issue is the design of the font itself, with the glyphs portrayed as is they were drawn with a pen, similar to English calligraphy where the pen has a wide nib and the width or weight of the stroke varies according to the direction in which it is drawn.

So we see wide or heavy strokes for horizontal parts of Hebrew letters, and narrow or light strokes for the vertical. Modern Hebrew "sans serif"-style typefaces don't have this—think Helvetica or Arial instead of Times and Palatino.

This tradition must go back beyond the first printed Hebrew texts.

Looking at the Aleppo Codex it doesn't have that style of writing, but the strokes are more of less of uniform weight, but do have a slight taper. Looking at some of the Dead Sea Scrolls shows a similar orthography—or is it a style of handwriting/penmanship?

A ben Chayyim printed TNK I have seen (date unknown) is the same. The Complutensian Polyglott OT is somewhere in-between, with a somewhat narrower vertical stroke and with tapering as well.

• 7 months later...

Helen,

You told me once how to change the font in the Ge'ez (Ethiopian) module.  I did that on the other computer.  How do I do it on this one?

Andrew

• 1 month later...

+1  Agreed.  Please make other Hebrew fonts available.  Or fix Yehudit (but preferably the former).  I am a Windows user, and what Mr. Mansfield said above (including his screenshot) applies exactly to me.  Yehudit looks "clunky" or rough until I raise it up to font size 27, by which time it is too big to fit much else on the screen.

We have improved the handling of Yehudit in the upcoming program update.

Just curious: are you referring to 12.2.9.0, or 12.3, as I've now updated to the former, and I see no changes with the handling of Yehudit (at least in terms of making it more readable).

I'm eagerly awaiting the latter update, 12.3.  (I might be stretching it now, but is there any idea how soon the latter will come out, and if it may happen to include "Find on Page / pane")?  Thank you.

Edited by TYA

• 3 months later...

I came here looking for a response to exactly the question of other users: I want to be able to change the Hebrew font. I find Yehudit font really clunky and awkward to work with.  I have to make the font huge in order to read it easily, and then it is so big that navigation gets to be a pain.  I need to use Hebrew literally every day in my Bible translation ministry, and I need a font I can read easily and quickly.  The Yehudit font is so hard to read that it slows down my work, so I've gone back to my outdated Bibleworks program for reading the Hebrew text, because even if the program is out of date, their font is great and super-readable, even at smaller sizes.  I still use Accordance for the resources and some of the features, though. 

I realize that people who make fonts won't necessarily be Hebrew experts.  That's totally understandable.  But please work with those who are Hebrew experts and research which fonts are most readable.  Maybe test different fonts to see which ones are most readable, and then adjust your font accordingly.

Or better yet, let us choose our font! 

• 2 years later...

I, too, would welcome full Unicode support and, thus, the ability to use SBL Hebrew (which is vastly better, to me, for reading) instead of Yehudit (which is “tolerable” but painful for long reading sessions).

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding, unicode does not display certain aspects of Hebrew correctly, which is why we use our own fonts internally in the program. I do not know enough of this to offer specific details, though. Perhaps someone else in the company could.

Hi Rick,

What you just said is absolutely incomprehensible to me. Displaying the languages of the world correctly in different fonts is what Unicode is for. I attached a screenshot of SBL Unicode Hebrew from Logos. I’ve been able to use whatever Unicode font I prefer for any text or tool in L since 2006.

Accordance’s stance on this is exasperating. I can use Unicode Hebrew fonts in L, Olive Tree, and E-Sword. User Unicode font preferences should have been at the top of the list almost a generation ago, and should be now. I’ve given up on Accordance ever taking the Unicode issue seriously. I appreciate Accordance for so many things. But on this issue, I am just dumbfounded. So are others.

Michel

SBL Unicode Hebrew in L.PNG

I have to check it, but I thought the patach furtivum isn't displayed correct.