Just Released: The Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide 4

R. Mansfield

Just released! The Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide 4 comes with over 3,000 exclusive photos (nearly twice the previous edition) and 50 new articles. This is an Accordance exclusive you won't find anywhere else.

Introductory pricing is available, but consider our new Graphics Premier Bundle that contains all of our graphics-rich titles.

For more information, see today's blog post, "Introducing the Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide 4."
Tishbe.png

Great update! I encourage everyone who owns some of these modules to consider using the Custom upgrade with the new Graphics Premier Bundle. For me, it was an exceptionally great deal.

The only thing I would like to see is the addition of Todd Bolen's Pictorial Library of the Bible Lands. I own that set and use them a lot. They would be more useful if they were in Accordance. I know that some may see duplication between the PhotoGuide and Bolen's Pictorial Library but in Accordance there are several resources that cover the same material (for instance, how many own 3-4 lexicons). There is room for his set in Accordance and I think many would want it.

• Like 1

Yes, here is a link: http://bibleplaces.com/pictorial-library-complete-collection.htm

My appreciation for Todd's work in no way is a reflection on the PhotoGuide. His description included on the Powerpoint slides are exceptional. Plus, he has the unique perspective on one who has lived and worked in Israel.

Sounds very interesting! I do have a question about the photographs from Mesopotamia in terms of scope - Is this module capable of replacing Pritchard's "ANET in Pictures" from 1954?

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

Bible Lands 4 is outstanding!!!!..

I am a visual learner I just went though the pics quickly (use *? in caption field,set reading to paragraphs)

I am very pleased

My only future request is to provide some links to the Accordance Map for the sites...perhaps use GPS settings???

I would be willing to pay for a upgrade to the Accordance Map that includes these site as well as those listed in other Accordance resources such as Biblical World in pictures, etc

Thank you such much Accordance staff for this upgrade!!!

Frank

My only future request is to provide some links to the Accordance Map for the sites...perhaps use GPS settings???

I would be willing to pay for a upgrade to the Accordance Map that includes these site as well as those listed in other Accordance resources such as Biblical World in pictures, etc

Highlight the location in the PhotoGuide, right-click, choose Look Up: Map. That will take you to the location in the atlas.

• Like 2

Highlight the location in the PhotoGuide, right-click, choose Look Up: Map. That will take you to the location in the atlas.

One addition step is to then in the Atlas is to right-click on the site and choose Show In Google Maps. That's really neat.

By the way Rick, after watching your video on searching <http://www.accordancebible.com/Find-The-Right-Image/>I did a search for "Todd Bolen" in under English content and found 598 hits under ZIBBCOT alone. You can see his photos have been widely recognized and used.

Edited by Tony Lawrence

To kind of let the cat out of the bag, we're working on two additional collections from BiblePlaces / Todd Bolen (but not the one Tony mentioned).

And, I also wanted to throw in my appreciation for the PG 4 update; just today I was teaching on Mycenae and Knossos and was surprised to find fantastic pictures of both sites when I did a Research all search for Linear B.

• Like 2

Sounds very interesting! I do have a question about the photographs from Mesopotamia in terms of scope - Is this module capable of replacing Pritchard's "ANET in Pictures" from 1954?

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

Hi, Peter!

The PhotoGuide does not; its concern is with cities, places, and sites (ruins). The PhotoMuseum comes closer, though its images are organized topically, rather than geographically. It has far more pictures than the abbreviated Pritchard (both vols. 1 & 2), but it has been so long since I looked at the hardback (big) Pritchard I can't say for sure about it.

I do think the PhotoMuseum could be used profitably for a course on the ANE (or any other course in biblical studies or related fields), though its a shame the original provenience of the artifacts was not documented more carefully (by both the museums and the PhotoMuseum). The quality of the photos is excellent though, far above any of the printed editions of Pritchard. Most of the photos do identify the museum in which the artifact is currently located. Of course, having the right to use such images in the classroom for projections, handouts, etc. is worth its weight in gold.

Personally, I'd like to see us offer all of Pritchard's books in Accordance, even though they are now very dated. I'd also like to see Goodenough's Jewish Symbols in the Greco-Roman Era.

• Like 2

While recommending books that would be excellent to have on Accordance, may I suggest two:

1. A Guide to Biblical Sites in Greece and Turkey, by Fant & Reddish. <http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Biblical-Sites-Greece-Turkey/dp/0195139186>I use this book when leading the "Steps of Paul" tours. It is excellent.

2. Lost Treasures of the Bible: Understanding the Bible through Archaeological Artifacts in World Museums, also by Fant & Reddish. <http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Treasures-Bible-Understanding-Archaeological/dp/0802828817/ref=la_B001H6ISSC_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421848916&sr=1-2>

While the photos in these book are not to the level of the those in PhotoGuide, Museums... nevertheless the information found in the text is thorough and well written. Having them in digital format where one could travel with them on an iPad/iPhone would be a great benefit.

Rick,

Thanks for your reply...I do know how to search for locations so I am going to try and clarify what I meant...the problem is that a lot of the locations are not found on the Accordance map....this includes the Biblelands collection....I know that every effort is made to explain the various names for the same place, but it is a real challenge...what I am suggesting is that all the locations that are used in "Accordance only resources" be placed on the Accordance map....example Abel Beth-maacah....and there others...My suggestion is not a criticism of the Map...I love this resource, but to be able to associate the picture with a location as best as possible would help me a lot in my studies..I really don't want to use Goggle search...I like to keep things with in Accordance and I am not always on the internet...I have used the research tool and found sites on other maps sometimes ,but I prefer the Accordance map features (use of 3D, measurement of distance,etc)

Frank

Edited by fmcfee

This would be an enormous task. You are asking for programming to link coordinates back to the map, and then for someone to go through and identify and enter the coordinates of thousands of old images. It would be neat to have this, but it doesn't seem realistic to me.

This would be an enormous task. You are asking for programming to link coordinates back to the map, and then for someone to go through and identify and enter the coordinates of thousands of old images. It would be neat to have this, but it doesn't seem realistic to me.

Helen,

Thanks for your reply....as you said "it would be neat to have"....but I do understand that Accordance has many requests and you have to prioritize...

Frank

The email announcement said, "The new PhotoGuide 4 has been enhanced with over 50 new articles and thousands of additional photographs."

But the website says that PhotoGuide 4 has "more than 3000 high-quality photographs" and that this number is "nearly twice the numbers of photos of the previous edition." This makes it sound like about 1,500 photographs were added to the new version, not thousands.

The only thing I can think of to explain this is maybe some of the original almost-1,500 photographs were replaced with new ones, and then an additional 1,500 were added. Is that correct?

A.D.

Yes, many of the older photos were replaced with better shots, but we didn't keep an exact count, sorry!

Rick,

Thanks for your reply...I do know how to search for locations so I am going to try and clarify what I meant...the problem is that a lot of the locations are not found on the Accordance map....this includes the Biblelands collection....I know that every effort is made to explain the various names for the same place, but it is a real challenge...what I am suggesting is that all the locations that are used in "Accordance only resources" be placed on the Accordance map....example Abel Beth-maacah....and there others...My suggestion is not a criticism of the Map...I love this resource, but to be able to associate the picture with a location as best as possible would help me a lot in my studies..I really don't want to use Goggle search...I like to keep things with in Accordance and I am not always on the internet...I have used the research tool and found sites on other maps sometimes ,but I prefer the Accordance map features (use of 3D, measurement of distance,etc)

Frank

I am going to have to correct myself as I made an apparent error in searching for Abel Beth-maacah...I was going to make a new user layer with "dig sites" on them and I decided to search for it again and I found it...it does not link to Photoguide 4(I did set my map display to Photoguide 4) not a big problem.....so I was wrong....it will not be the last time I am wrong...I do try and check things before I post on the forum, but missed this one....I am continuing to search for other sites...I did notice it did not find the Bosporus or sea of Marmara but can find them using the information in the caption (or search in dictionaries)...I just love the Accordance Map!

Frank

• 1 month later...

When one "upgrades" there is always the question, "what am I getting that is new, improved or better?" 

After having used the Photoguide 4 for a few weeks I want to sing its praises. While studying Acts 16 and the city of Philippi I observed that the PG4 has many more photos (about 50) and they are of excellent quality. 

• Like 1

I have it on good authority that even more material may be added to PhotoGuide 4 sometime down the road...

• Like 5

What are the copyrights for the photos included?

Can you use them in classrooms/powerpoints? In nonprofit magazines, or how?

Morten