Accordance 11 Sneak Peek #5: Info Pane

R. Mansfield

Accordance users have often stated, "I wish there was some quick way to know which commentaries and other reference works in my Accordance Library cover the passage I'm studying." New to Accordance 11, the Info Pane solves this problem. And since this is an Accordance feature, you know it's going to quickly access your Accordance resources and display the results in the blink of an eye.

1 Info Pane full window.png

• Like 10

Excellent news... a long awaited feature that I'm sure will be well worth the wait.

I wish it would show me which commentaries I have highlighted for currently open top verse.

• Like 2

So I have to ask - I get the cross-refs bit and I can see how the commentaries would work by references, and likewise the parallels.

But is Topics new tagging on some sort, or based on a tool that already exists ?

Thx

D

Guntis, the commentaries listed will be only the ones that discuss your top verse.

Daniel, you'll have to wait to find out more about the Topics... :)

I guess we will know this when iOS 2.0 gets released.

And that answers my question. More new toys, a veritable cornucopia coming it could appear, and at just the right season :)

• Like 4

How long, O Joel, how long?

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

OK now I'm blown away. Glad I already ordered my upgrade!

• 3 weeks later...

Guntis, the commentaries listed will be only the ones that discuss your top verse.

This is very useful, but you could add one line of links to the commentaries where I have highlighted something for the top verse. Or place a red line below the commentary cover image for those commentaries which I have highlighted. That would help me to return to those commentaries which I have found helpful for the particular top verse.

Guntis: the bookmarks can now be used instead of highlights, although I agree you won't see them in the Info Pane. I doubt that your suggestion is practical.

Guntis: the bookmarks can now be used instead of highlights, although I agree you won't see them in the Info Pane. I doubt that your suggestion is practical.

More than practical! :) I read a lot of commentaries, and often highlight those portions which in my opinion explain passage really well. Now, after 6-12 months I've forgotten which commentary it was which explained some particular verse. How can I find it? Currently I have to open commentaries one by one and scroll to see is anything highlighted? I'm lucky if it happens to be one of my often-used commentaries, but if it was some obscure commentary which I happen to open once or twice a year? Chances are, I won't open it this time. If I haven't added user note "See such and such commentary" then it will be lot of guesswork.

Therefore some graphical mark on the commentary cover image that I have highlighted something there would help me to find it much easier.

Simple idea: I scroll Bible text, my top verse is John 4:10. Accordance "sees" that I have highlighted something for that verse in NAC, so it places red underline beneath the NAC commentary's image, or superimposes small highlighter icon or a dot on the cover image. Either way I know immediately that previously I've highlihted something in that commentary for the current top verse. I think this would be really useful feature for those who have lots of commentaries...

• Like 1

Hi Guntis, not quite what you want, but if you make those “”explain the passage really well” sections in a particular highlight style (let’s say - yellow for this example) you can search for that highlight in the research bar using the [sTYLE xxx] command. (see screenshot for an example). Then just make a group of your most valuable commentaries and search them in your reference search.

post-29509-0-34137900-1416164121_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

Hi Guntis, not quite what you want, but if you make those “”explain the passage really well” sections in a particular highlight style (let’s say - yellow for this example) you can search for that highlight in the research bar using the [sTYLE xxx] command. (see screenshot for an example). Then just make a group of your most valuable commentaries and search them in your reference search.

Hi Ken,

I tried to make such a search string, but I cannot create it. I have a commentary group, I open search for this group, set search area to SCRIPTURE, and if I enter just "Luke 20", for example, in the result I get all commentaries which have anything about Luke 20. Too broad. If I add to the search criteria "<AND> ([sTYLE Note] <OR> [sTYLE Interesting] <OR> [sTYLE Important] <OR> [sTYLE Very Important!] <OR> [sTYLE Conclusions] <OR> [sTYLE Underline Red])", Accordance finds nothing… although I have highlighted many commentaries regarding this chapter. This second search string fetches results when I switch to ENGLISH content range, but then I cannot use Luke 20. Am I doing something wrong or is this "mission impossible"?

Guntis, use multiple fields - put the STYLE commands in the English Contents field and Luke 20 in your Scripture field.

Hi Joel, there aren’t multiple fields in the research bar, or in the research results window. At least I can’t see them...

Guntis was specifying the 'English Content' range, implying a proper tool window.