Sermon planning spreadsheet

A. Smith

Like many, I assume, I use a spreadsheet to plan my sermons. As I was putting 2015 together I found myself, once again, wishing there was a way to automatically populate a column (or row) with the dates for each Sunday of the year. I've looked and looked and can't find one. The various formulas I've found (adding 7, etc) don't work month-to month. Any ideas? Any alternatives? How do you write out your plan?

Put in the first Sunday of the year and then drag down and select 52 cells. Then go to the EDIT menu, then choose FILL and the SERIES, step value should be set to 7. Viola!, you have the dates for the year.

In the second column I put at the top AM Sermon, third column is PM Sermon.

Edited by Tony Lawrence
  • Like 1

I just started one of these myself this summer--I do it in Google, so I can just send a view-only link to worship leaders and folks who have other roles in the service... it's been a really convenient way to track everything!

Tony--thanks for the tip! I'll see if Google Sheets (or whatever it's called now) can do something similar.... or just do it in Excel and copy-paste it in.

I just played with Google Sheets (spreadsheets) and you can put in Jan 4, 2015 and then select the next cel below, and type = and click the previous cell and then put +7 and it will give you every Sunday for 2015.

• Like 1

Awesome--thanks, Tony! That is how I will set up 2015, then. :)

Well, no, I don't start writing 2015 till...2015. :)

The other really neat way you can do this is in Excel (or Google Sheets) put in the first two dates you want in the column (say 4 Jan 2015 then 11 Jan 2015 then after highlighting both of them, just drag the bottom right corner down as far as you want, and yet another voila! (rather than the miraculous appearance of a mid-sized stringed instrument)

• Like 1

I repent in sackcloth and ashes for my typo. :)

Edited by Tony Lawrence
  • Like 2

Glad you have seen the error of your ways tony, or else I may have had to string you up!

(I can hear the mass groans from the other side of the world!)

• Like 3

[deleted]

Oops. Wrong thread!

Edited by Abram K-J

Wow. That didn't work for me. I was using google sheets. I'd put in 1/4/15 1/11/15 1/18/15 and it would populate 1/19/15 1/20/15, etc. hmm

Edit: I figured it out. I wasn't puling the lower right corner of the selection box. Got it. I wish I knew that yesterday!!

Edited by A. Smith

Glad you got it to work. It’s a nice trick isn’t it. It can be used for any series. Excel is amazing, and Google sheets almost so...

Yeah. I was originally using numbers. It seems to be getting worse with every iteration. You can't even export tab delimited. A train wreck, it seems to me. Don't have excel anymore so Sheets it is . . .

I was very hopeful for Numbers as I think Keynote is fantastic and Pages really quite good, but Numbers always seems to promise but never quite deliver...

Excel rulez, Sheets is close.

Yes. I really can't imagine what Apple has in mind with Numbers. it just makes no sense to continually remove useful features. I don't know how they expect to replace Microsoft office. At least, I figure that's the goal. Maybe it's something more subversive, mwahahah.

:ph34r:

Just concentrating on iOS compatibility?. I switched to office fairly quickly on the mac as pages doesn't have good enough compatibility with word for what I use. Even office 2011 and office 2010 have some differences in formatting the same file. ;o(