Hang with DropBox Syncing

Julia Falling

Hey –

I can sync with DropBox without any problems from my MacBook Air (and from iPad Air and iPhone). But when I go to the Mac mini to sync, I'm getting a consistent hang. Opening the Force Quit window shows that Accordance is not responding. I do most of my Accordance stuff on the MBA.

I've rebooted the mini and it doesn't help. I moved all the pertinent data to the mini via AirDrop and then tried to sync the mini again. Hang —> Force Quit. Everything else seems to be working great on both machines. I have also repaired permissions on the mini.

Any ideas?

MacBook Air = Mid-2013 1.7GHz i7

8GB RAM

500 GB, 168 GB free

Mac mini = 2.3 GHz i7

16 GB RAM

1.1 TB Fusion Drive, 398 free

Both machines:

Accordance 10.4.2.1

OS 10.9.3

• 3 weeks later...

My hang with DropBox sync on the Mac mini has turned into an Accordance crash when attempting to sync with DropBox. Additionally, my iPad is now not syncing with DropBox. It proceeds to 99% with 10 tasks remaining and just sits there.

Help! Something has become corrupted. My MBA and iPhone still sync with DropBox without any problems, and it goes quickly. Is there any other way to get Highlights and Notes onto my iPad?

Thanks. Not pulling my hair out yet. Haven't thrown anything. I never kick the dog. Should I throw a vase?

I was having some issues with Dropbox syncing earlier. Have you also tried unlinking and re-linking Dropbox to Accordance?

Also, I did find out if you totally unlink Dropbox between a Mac and iOS device, you can sync practically everything locally over Wi-Fi. I did that for my User Tool issue, then re-connected Dropbox later and sorted out the mess.

Thanks, Nathan. I'll give it a try. Sounds hopeful.

Well, it took me hours to get everything 'fixed.' 'Fixed' means I can sync with DropBox from every device except the Mac mini — it still hangs or crashes. I had to go into TimeMachine to recover files that were lost in the process of unlinking and relinking, but Accordance is working again on both computers. I was having crashes on both Macs for a while. I'm just going to have to move Notes, Highlights, and a User Tools to the mini manually. I just can't get the sync to work. I also don't have the time to pursue it at this point. I'll give it another try with the next update, even an incremental one, to Accordance iOS.

Yeah, Dropbox has been buggy for me as well. It took me a long time to get it going, and I think it's a miracle it's working now. Not sure why it's been a little flakey lately.

I ran into problems again this morning before church. I couldn't sync with DropBox with any device. So I unlinked from DropBox on the MacBook Air. I then attempted to sync from the MBA to iPad. Accordance/Mac crashed, and crashed . . . . same result with iPhone. I went to church without my User Notes on my iPad.

This afternoon I worked on the sync some more and got the Mac <—> iPad/iPhone working again. First, I just synced the Notes w/o any Highlights files. No problems at all. Then I tried the Highlights files, one at a time. I did get the files on there that I wanted, but each time all the Accordance windows except the Sync window disappeared for a bit, then came back when the sync was complete. Perplexing.

I think there are still some Highlights issues. In the past, I've run into difficulties when I highlight a hyperlink, so I modified some highlighting I had done this morning to make sure I was clear of the hyperlinks. I don't know for sure if that is what the problem was, but my crashing stopped. I'm also going to stay unlinked to DropBox until y'all are reporting the problems seem to be gone. Flakey is great for a pie crust, but it's lousy for a sync.

Hi Julie,

When you go to your Accordance Files Folder in Documents on your Mac mini, do you see any duplicate files?

Ryan

Ryan –

The only duplicates are what I see within the Highlights folder on both computers.

post-330-0-10751100-1402453896_thumb.jpg

Hi Julie,

I would recommend removing or renaming the duplicates, but keep the most recent file the same. Try syncing again and let us know if you're still having issues.

Ryan

I've removed the duplicates on both machines and relinked Accordance to DropBox on both machines without trashing the DropBox Accordance folder first. I got a hang with the MacBook Air and had to Force Quit. Same result with the Mac mini. I checked the contents of the Accordance folder in DropBox. There were no duplicates in the Highlights folder.

Julie,

You said that when you synced the Highlights files one at a time on the Mac it worked. Does syncing the Highlights one at a time on the Mac mini make any difference or does it crash regardless?

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan – I should have started another thread. I have unlinked from DropBox on both computers because of all the problems and now transfer information using AirDrop and am only syncing, or attempting to sync, with the MBA.. Additionally, with DropBox Sync, it just syncs all Notes, Highlights, and User Tools, right? Trying to do the Highlight files one at a time would mean I'd have to remove all but one from the MBA, sync MBA then mini; add another Highlights file to the MBA, sync MBA then mini, etc.. With the day I had yesterday, I'm not up to risking more crashes.

Julie, by "hang," is your Accordance program turning your entire desktop all white? That's what's happening to me each time I Dropbox sync. I have to quit Accordance to get it back, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Never had that. Just the colorful little beach ball spinning and spinning. When I open the Force Quit window (⌥⌘-esc) it says that Accordance is 'not responding.' I've given up on DropBox syncing until I'm sure the situation is fixed. Trying to get things working was just eating up too much time. I can still sync iPad & iPhone with the MBA, though not without issues. I have been using AirDrop to move stuff between Air & mini.

Of one thing I am convinced – the main issue is the Highlights. If I don't include them when syncing between iOS device and Mac, it goes without a hitch. If I include them all, Accordance will sometimes crash. If I sync them, adding one file at a time, all the Accordance windows will disappear, the beach ball will make a brief appearance, but the sync will work. As it's finishing, the other Accordance windows reappear. Very strange.

You might want to try syncing everything but the Highlights. You will probably have to temporarily move your Highlights folder out of the Accordance folder and onto the desktop so that Accordance won't see it. It's worth a try. If nothing else, we will be giving the Accordance programmers another data point.