Polish Bible

Grzegorz Szamocki

I am a scholar and I use Accordance. The software is great. Because I am a Pole, I am very interested in Polish translation of the Bible in Accordance. Are you going to enclose Polish Bible to your wonderful program? It would be very useful for a large number of researchers and teachers in Poland who work with Accordance. Personally, I would also recommend Accordance effectively to my students. May I hope that my hope in this case will fulfill? Best regards and best wishes. Grzegorz

• Like 1

HI Grzegorz,

it's not my area in Accordance, but I know to even think about it we would like to know

1. Is there a version you think we should examine?

2. Do you know if there is an e-text version of that Bible?

3. Who publishes the Bible you are suggesting.

It can be a difficult road to get texts to publishing as a standard Accordance module with all the associated publisher difficulties.

Is there a public domain/freely redistributable Polish Bible that may be available as an e-text on the internet that you are aware of? We could look at making that into a user bible quite quickly.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

So at Bible Gateway I found

Nowe Przymierze. Pismo Swiete Nowego Testamentu © 2011 Ewangeliczny Instytut Biblijny

which looks like a more dynamic translation,

and

Słowo Życia (Polish Living New Testament)

Copyright © 1991, 2005 by International Bible Society®

However, both are only New Testaments.

So, help and direction would be good.

Edited by Ken Simpson

Hi guys-

I thought I would speak up with what I know of the current situation. Ken. The two you mentioned are both kind of supplementary translations. In Polish, there are two main Bibles--the Protestant British or Warsaw Bible (Brytyjka or Biblia Warszawska) and the Catholic Millennium Bible (Biblia Tysiąclecia).

The BW is published by the Towarzystwo Biblijne w Polsce (Polish Bible Society), and the Catholic Bible by the Catholic Church, (of sorts--I don't have my copy handy for anything more specific). To the best of my knowledge, neither group has granted others permission to produce electronic versions of their texts. Not, mind you, that this hasn't been done, but all the etexts I'm aware of are non-authorized versions. Also, from what I've seen, they are not perfect or anywhere near perfect copies, with many typos in them.

The only commonly available Polish Bible texts I am aware of are the medieval texts of the Gdansk Bible and the Wujek. Neither are very readable by modern readers, but the Gdansk has sort of a cult-like status among certain conservative groups in Poland, somewhat like the KJV does in America. If you were to start with any Bible, I would recommend the Gdansk Bible to start with, as it is public domain.

There are other, less known modern versions, like the two you mentioned, as well as a couple so-called modern Gdansk Bibles. One is essentially a new translation, but based loosely on the TR from which the Gdansk comes from. The other is an attempt to update the Gdansk to modern Polish.

I understand that there is also a new ecumenical translation as well as a brand new Catholic translation. I have only seen individual books from the former, and weird excerpts from the latter.

The real problem is that I don't know how to go about contacting these various groups, nor if they will allow publishing their Bibles in Accordance. My guess is that the two Gdansk updates will both probably be rather willing, and maybe even the Nowe Przymierze group as well (that translation is funded by the Bible League, if that helps--maybe you could contact them in America).

If you need help contacting the various groups, I would be willing to help.

I probably shouldn't mention this, but I do have the BW in my Accordance, but it's not perfect. I somehow got the verse numbering off in many books, which creates havoc with searching with parallels open.

• Like 1

Nowe Przymierze. Pismo Swiete Nowego Testamentu © 2011 Ewangeliczny Instytut Biblijny

We have a license for this, but have not begun working on it. We're also following up to see if there's been any progress on additional books.

Hi guys-

I thought I would speak up with what I know of the current situation. Ken. The two you mentioned are both kind of supplementary translations. In Polish, there are two main Bibles--the Protestant British or Warsaw Bible (Brytyjka or Biblia Warszawska) and the Catholic Millennium Bible (Biblia Tysiąclecia).

The BW is published by the Towarzystwo Biblijne w Polsce (Polish Bible Society), and the Catholic Bible by the Catholic Church, (of sorts--I don't have my copy handy for anything more specific). To the best of my knowledge, neither group has granted others permission to produce electronic versions of their texts. Not, mind you, that this hasn't been done, but all the etexts I'm aware of are non-authorized versions. Also, from what I've seen, they are not perfect or anywhere near perfect copies, with many typos in them.

The only commonly available Polish Bible texts I am aware of are the medieval texts of the Gdansk Bible and the Wujek. Neither are very readable by modern readers, but the Gdansk has sort of a cult-like status among certain conservative groups in Poland, somewhat like the KJV does in America. If you were to start with any Bible, I would recommend the Gdansk Bible to start with, as it is public domain.

There are other, less known modern versions, like the two you mentioned, as well as a couple so-called modern Gdansk Bibles. One is essentially a new translation, but based loosely on the TR from which the Gdansk comes from. The other is an attempt to update the Gdansk to modern Polish.

I understand that there is also a new ecumenical translation as well as a brand new Catholic translation. I have only seen individual books from the former, and weird excerpts from the latter.

The real problem is that I don't know how to go about contacting these various groups, nor if they will allow publishing their Bibles in Accordance. My guess is that the two Gdansk updates will both probably be rather willing, and maybe even the Nowe Przymierze group as well (that translation is funded by the Bible League, if that helps--maybe you could contact them in America).

If you need help contacting the various groups, I would be willing to help.

I probably shouldn't mention this, but I do have the BW in my Accordance, but it's not perfect. I somehow got the verse numbering off in many books, which creates havoc with searching with parallels open.

Thanks for the info!

Hello,

there are available online at least two good and popular Polish translations of the Bible:

Biblia Tysiaclecia (http://biblia.deon.pl) - most popular!

Biblia Warszawska (http://biblia-online.pl/Biblia-Warszawska.html)

other:

Biblia Gdanska (http://www.biblest.com.pl/wyszukiwarka.php)

It is still a very good new a translation with commentary: Biblia Paulistow.

I do not know how is matter of copyright, for example, for Accordance.

Bible Works has Biblia Tysiaclecia and Biblia Gdanska.

I suggest contacting the publisher.

Biblia Tysiaclecia: Pallottinum Wydawnictwo (pallottinum@pallottinum.pl)

Biblia Paulinska: Edycja Swietego Pawla (edycja@edycja.pl)

I would be interested in what will be their response. Perhaps you should do it institutionally. I could ask for help and intervention Polish Association of Biblical Scholars (Stowarzyszenie Biblistow Polskich) of which I am a member.

Regards

Grzegorz

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

something new about polish bibles? I think that some polish scholars prefer BibleWorks only because you didn't decide to implement polish translations :(

hope it can change!

• Like 1

yes, I know.

but this translation is (although good and interesting) a peculiar one. it is VERY modern in terms of language. that's what they call "dynamically equivalent". for good equilibration you could add Biblia Gdanska too (I think it's free at all) as a good, literal translation. an old one but still appreciated by many. those are all protestant. if you would like to make a step toward catholic scholars (and more) you simply have to include Biblia Tysiaclecia because it's an official liturgical text and also the one normally cited in papers and used in schools.

so: I'm about to decide if pass from BW to Accordance or not... :)

can I hope that the others translation are going to be included soon?

• Like 1

We are waiting for final signatures on the Polish Biblia Tysiaclecia, at which point we can begin work on this resource.

• Like 1

We are waiting for final signatures on the Polish Biblia Tysiaclecia, at which point we can begin work on this resource.

really great to hear that! you will see many happy about that.

really great to hear that! you will see many happy about that.

True, but I'd be more happy if they also got the Warszawska. That's the one I use daily. I have a user Bible, but I can't get the versification correct (some of the psalms are quite off, and I don't know why, how or where, and it's been so long since i created it, that I don't remember what I did in the first place.) :-)

True, but I'd be more happy if they also got the Warszawska. That's the one I use daily. I have a user Bible, but I can't get the versification correct (some of the psalms are quite off, and I don't know why, how or where, and it's been so long since i created it, that I don't remember what I did in the first place.) :-)

sure. more we get better is. another good, modern and really equilibrate translation is: Biblia Paulistow (http://www.edycja.pl/produkty/biblia-i-biblistyka/pismo-swiete/pismo-swiete-st-i-nt-format-standardowy-oprawa-twarda-paginatory)

[chuckle] Hang on, guys!

We've got lots of languages for which we don't even have a single Bible translation yet. Shouldn't we try to give them a "little love" first?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

hi everyone.

something new here or topic entirely forgot?

best wishes.

piotr

+1

• 2 months later...

hi there!

anything???

I'm impatient. yes, I am! definitely ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Any news about Polish Bible (Tysiaclatka)?

- greetings to all Accordancers :)

Roman

• Like 1

I think we should have at least 20 modern European language Bibles before we get another one in English. :)

• Like 2

I think we should have at least 20 modern European language Bibles before we get another one in English. :)

+1

Of course, I wouldn't be able to read a single one of them, but I understand the need to break the anglocentric bias of Accordance Bible modules.

However, as we have been seen in this thread, it does not appear to be straightforward to acquire the digital rights to some (non-English) versions.

• Like 1

Of course, I wouldn't be able to read a single one of them, but I understand the need to break the anglocentric bias of Accordance Bible modules.

However, as we have been seen in this thread, it does not appear to be straightforward to acquire the digital rights to some (non-English) versions.

Well... there does seem to be some potential "movement" on a couple Polish translations--Tysiaclecia and the EIB. I'd be nice to at least know if these are going to see the light of day any time soon--of course, just saying they are being worked on (still)...

And then, there's a new translation, the "Updated Gdansk Bible". It can be found here: https://wrotanadziei.org/I'm sure these guys will be willing to see it available for free on Accordance--but one must ask them. :-)

• Like 2

yes, sure. but last year there was at least a signal of hope ("we're working on that"). now we don't really know what to think...

and we (polish users of Accordance, I mean) are still more and more... I know because I personally made some people pass from another kind of software.

we have to keep fighting! they will not make us silent! ;)  

• Like 3