"2 exact hits" returned for one occurrence of a two-word search

Abram K-J

I have a few tools I've been searching (via Search All) for "Madame Guyon." A number of them have her occurring just once, yet they all return "2 exact hits" or "2 flex hits."

I vaguely recall reading in the help files or on the forums what the logic here is--there are two hits returned, one for each word. So this is expected behavior, and I can just divide by two in this case, to know how many times "Madame Guyon" appears in a text (and/or use the Mark arrows, etc.).

However, I wonder if something more intuitive (at least intuitive to me) could be an option: "Madame Guyon" occurs just once in the texts I'm searching, so what I might more expect to see is "1 exact hit" or "1 flex hit."

Is something like this an option for the future?

Hey Abram,, Are you quoting Madame Guyon in your search string or are they two separate words without quotes ?

Thx

D

Hi, Daniel--I'm getting the same results with or without quotes.

This seems to work differently in Tools than in Texts--maybe that's at play? Compare: "Kingdom of God" searches differently in the NIV than Kingdom of God without quotes.

Just did a test - definitely hit counting is not done the same way in tools as in texts for quoted strings of words. Hmmm......

Tx

D

Anyone in the know--is this expected behavior that Tools and Texts return search results (i.e., count hits) differently?

I think you guys are conforming a bit to the google idea of quotes. In Accordance, double quotes mean one of two things - either they turn a flex search component into literal, or they make a lemma search into an inflected one. To have the quotes mean anything, you first must be in flex mode, and then the quotes turn the flex off. So, a search for Madame Guyon in flex mode is essentially Madame Guyon, while "Madame Guyon" retains it as a phrase. Neither one affects the resultant number of hits.

Where you really see the difference is in a more generic search, like the Kingdom of God search. "Kingdom of God" only finds that direct phrase, while Kingdom of God in flex gives you any variety of those words. So, a sentence like "And then the gods were found inside of the many kingdoms" would be considered a hit.

I hope this clarifies! I don't believe the tool vs. text counting is different, though.

Hi Joel,

google ? what's that ? :) Actually not so much google as Linux in general but you're right that's more or less how I'm coming at it. Let me give you a concrete example of two searches and thus explain why I think the hit counting behaves differently between texts and tools. I've chosen comparatively long strings to simplify checking the results.

First ESVS searching for "God created the heavens and the earth". With quotes I get 1 hit, without them I get 55 flex hits. With exact I get 1 either way - as you note above the quote thing requires flex to have an impact.

Second, Wallace Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics searching for "The nominative is the case of specific designation". Here I get 8 flex hits with quotes, and without quotes I get 187 flex hits, which is oddly low given the presence of 'the'. Given the look of the results I guess scope is something like a chapter. In any case this is not really the point in this post.

So the question is this : if with flex with quotes I get single occurrence of an 8 word string counted as 8 hits in a tool, and in a bible a flex search for a quoted 7 word string counted counted as 1 hit, isn't that counting hits differently ?

Thx

D

Okay--that's as I suspected, then. I was getting the same result for Madame Guyon with or without quotes, whether in flex or exact search. In other words, no matter what, a single instance of Madame Guyon in a single tool showed that it was 2 hits.

Which I guess raises the question of why hits would be counted differently (i.e., work differently) in a tool as opposed to a text?

Edited by Abram K-J