Personal Finance Software

Julia Falling

Hey –

My husband is in the market for new software for personal finance. He's been using MS Money and Quicken/Mac. The MS Money is a left-over from his PC days. (He got a Mac 2-3 months before retiring and the PC is gone forever.)

What do you use? Was there any problem importing your data into it from previous software?

Thanks?

I've used the Mac version of Quicken since 2002. It's nowhere near on par with the Windows version, but it's fine for me to keep track of my accounts and balance my checkbook. I know some people who run the Windows version of Quicken in VMWare or Parallels. There are a number of 3rd party programs out there, but if you need to connect to your bank (as I do), you'll want to make certain that they are compatible with your bank before you invest.

iBank

I would definitely not go the Quicken route at this point.

I tried out several a few years back and settled on Moneydance. I did look at iBank, can't remember now why I didn't go that route.

I don't like how Moneydance handles Mutual Funds, but it was still the best option for me from those I tried. It did a good job importing from Quicken. I had difficultly with importing in some of the other apps I tried, but I don't remember the specifics of which apps had which problems.

Most of the apps out there offer a free trial period or version; your husband might want to try out several before deciding. That's what I did when I went looking for a Quicken replacement.

Lorinda

For sure what Lorinda said, try the import and use of a few of them.

(FYI, iBank has had two major updates in the last couple years, and is very feature complete.)

Thanks for the input. This gives my husband a good place to start. Demos! A successful import is critical.

Anyone know anything at all about something called MoneyWhiz? Gets good reviews on the MacApp Store.

After trying a whole bunch. I settled on iBank as well. I'm pleased with it. Quicken's not even a contender on the Mac side anymore.

MoneyWell is the program I have now. There are both Mac and iOS apps.

I found my notes comparing Moneydance and iBank, which where the two top contenders for me a few years ago. iBank's reports were hard to work with and wouldn't let me see each individual transaction in the report. Repeated memorized transaction options were limited, specifically there was no bimonthly option. And downloading from one of our credit card companies didn't work properly. But that's all been 3 years ago. Updates to iBank may have fixed/improved on all those issues.

Lorinda, none of those describe iBank in the 4 years I've used it (except don't know about your bank's CC. They add hundreds all the time)