Classical Ethiopic Bible

Niko

It would be super cool to have a Ge'ez Classical Ethiopic Bible in Accordance.

As far as I see it, having Ethiopic bible in Accordance would make the program more complete, as we already have Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Syriac and Coptic resources. Classical Ethiopic is a semitic language. Knowing Ethiopic helps your Hebrew, plus Ethiopic is relevant for your text critical work. But I would read Ethiopic just for Ethiopic itself :) !

In my wildest dreams this resource would be tagged and Holmstedt syntax searchable.

I don't know much about different versions. I know that Dillmann has edited OT. Harrassowitch Verlag is at the moment offering critical edition of the Gospel of Matthew and Letter to Romans. Peeters has Gospel of John.

http://www.harrassowitz-verlag.de/category_348.ahtml

August Dillmann's Biblia Veteris Testamenti Aethiopici might be free? as it can be downloaded from archive and google books, some editions use older font which is a bit different from the modern ethiopic font.

Ran Cohen has digitalised Dillmann and others and converted the old font to a modern one. Maybe you could work with him?

http://www.ranhacohen.info/Biblia.html

Here's more info: http://www.ranhacohen.info/Octateuch/Information.html

Eventually it would be nice to have a dictionary and grammar in Accordance as well, but having Ge'ez Bible would make a good start. Lambdin's Introduction to Classical Ethiopic is a good introductory grammar organised into lessons. The Ethiopic is typed in latin characters. Wouldn't that make it easier to produce?

Edited by Niko
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

Definitely!! I'd like to have it.

Boni

• Like 1

Same here!

• 8 months later...

Thank you for this Ethiopic (Ge’ez) Old Testament (Untagged)! 

I bought it and now wait for it to be released within a few days. Accordance truly is the best there is!

I'm happy to read there are plans with the THEOT in the future.

Thank you!

We're working on some final checks and edits now, and plan to release within a few days as stated. This release though will not yet include the Psalms (the website will reflect this soon if not already), which will be released within a couple weeks as a free update.

Thanks for the interest and feedback.

• Like 3

This is really great! :)

Just a sample screenshot for everyone of our Semitic Bibles arranged side-by-side.

post-29215-0-56687400-1447940620_thumb.png

• Like 5

When I paste the text into Word from my Accordance Windows the font seems to be be called Ebrima. Can I change it to Abyssinica SIL?

post-31962-0-69893500-1448117177_thumb.jpg

Yes, you can change it to any Unicode font that supports these characters. Kefa is suitable as well as Abyssinica.

But in Accordance? Going to edit > preferences > unicode display, I don't see an option to change the ethiopic font

You can change the font in Set Text Display for the Ethiopic text, but the font that it pastes as in Word may have to be selected in Word.

Having not done this changing of font before, I feel a bit stupid. So I should go Display > Set Text Pane Display > Customize Theme?

Pressing Customize Theme crashes my Accordance Windows. The result is the same whether the module is ethiopic or some random english translation.

I think it might be related to this post

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/17215-user-bible-customize-theme-crash/?hl=%2Bcustomize+%2Btheme

No, apparently I hadn't. That solved it! I can now change the font. Thank you very much!