User import bible text adds space character before apostrophe '

lynxt

Hi,

I imported a user bible from a text file and noticed that every time there is an apostrophe ' the import tool adds a space before it. Here's an example:

Text from source file :

Gen. 1:31 Dieu vit tout ce qu'il avait fait. Voilà, c'était très bon. [...]

Text in accordance :

Dieu vit tout ce qu 'il avait fait. Voilà, c 'était très bon. [...]

^ ^

| |

spaces added -----------------------------

Best regards

• 8 years later...

I realize I'm resurrecting an ancient post here, but I'm having a few possibly related problems with how special characters are rendered when importing user Bible texts. In my case, I'm adding italics to text adjacent to brackets:

Source File

[       ]<i>šym</i>[    ]

Desired Results in Accordance

[       ]šym[    ]

Appearance of Text in Accordance

[ ]šym [ ]

There are a couple of problems:

1) The spaces between the brackets are not respected

2) There shouldn't be a space between the m and the [

I hope there's a simple fix. Thanks in advance for any solutions.

@mbjohn2, I'm not sure if the following post will help you, but it's worth a read with respect to how you can get Accordance to not collapse adjacent spaces in a user Bible (TL;DR: use no-break spaces [U+00A0] instead of normal spaces [U+0020]):

Unfortunately, with respect to the extra space before an opening square bracket, I'm not sure how to work around that. It appears that Accordance treats square brackets specially during a user Bible import. If you are able to use a different kind of bracket (e.g., curly brackets, {}), Accordance doesn't seem to add the extra space in that case.

• Like 1

Thanks @Steven S, the U+00A0 seems to work. Unfortunately, I can't swap square and curly brackets because they mean different things in Qumran text transcriptions.

Here's to hoping there's a solution for the unwanted spaces.

@mbjohn2, if you're not tied to the exact code points for ASCII square brackets (U+005B and U+005D), there are several other types of square brackets in Unicode you might consider. See the answers to this Stack Overflow question for examples. I tried importing a user Bible with mathematical left/right white square brackets (⟦ [U+27E6] and ⟧ [U+27E7]), and Accordance didn't add any extra space.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I'll consider giving this a go. I'd like the text to export to other apps with the proper transcription characters without having to find and replace extra characters. I'm sure I can automate my way through it, though. Just a hassle. I appreciate the suggestion—it may be the best way to get the text to display without extra spaces.