Reverse Order of exported Hebrew and Syriac Unicode texts

David Knoll

When you copy two words from a Hebrew or Syriac text to a Word document aligned to the left, their order is reversed.

Thus if you copy וַיֹּ֣אמֶר חַגַּ֔י from Hag 2:13 to a word document which is formatted from Left to Right (English text), you get חגי ויאמר.

You can select the text and choose right-to left order, and it should be correct.

I think this is related to another reported issue with RTL text. I can confirm that pasting text with the 'keep source formatting' option in Word for Win does not preserve the correct RTL sequence. As a workaround use 'keep text only'. It's been reported and is being looked into.

Is that in Word or in Accordance?

When I tried it, that was in Word. Select the text, click on and expand paragraph, and pick "Right-to-left" for "Direction". The "Keep text only" works, but if you forget, it appears you can do what Helen suggested.

I have this problem also, I'm using an older version of Word though (2003) that doesn't give you the option of pasting with original source formatting or keep text only. I'm trying to figure out how to select text and reverse its direction, the Word documentation seems to indicate that it is possible to do this but I haven't figured it out yet.

Update: I've figured out how to do "keep text only". After you paste, there is a little icon at the bottom of the pasted text in Word 2003. You click on the icon, and there is a "keep text only" option. This seems to work. It also alters the Hebrew font used.

Edited by albert.haig@gmail.com

I don't have access to that version, but try to look for something under the Edit menu that says 'paste special' or maybe 'paste as…'.