Accordance on Linux using Wine

Wayne Stewart

nmax,

I can successfully install, login and download modules I have purchased using Accordance 12.3.0 Lite which I just downloaded.

This was my install command into a clean wine prefix:

$ WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_tmp WINEARCH=win32 wine Accordance12.3.0.exe

However, when I try and run the actual program, it starts, but no window appears (or it remains hidden as the application is still running; the splash window momentarily appears).

Debian Testing

wine-3.19 (Debian 3.19-1)

awesomeWM

Linux 3.16.16

I still haven't had any success in making Accordance usable beyond Accordance version 10.4.5. This works fine. It fails to install module updates once they are downloaded, but does download them successfully, and I can just copy the files to he right place manually.

I also find this a pain as I only run Linux and have done so for years. (No doubt people in this forum would be horrified that my primary computer is a MacBook Air upgraded to run Linux :D )

Edited by David Purton
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was just on my Linux (latest Ubuntu) laptop and noticed Acc was still on it (still under 5 devices). So, I updated it to the latest version, 12.3.1, on Wine staging 3.7. It is much better than before - munu items appear when I hover the mouse at the top of panes/zones, and I can access most things with rt click. The construct search works well.

post-32543-0-34899200-1545194192_thumb.png

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Michael,

Interesting. Your screenshot still seems to show plenty of redraw issues, which makes me think that it's still not usable. Looks like I'm still stuck with v. 10.

• 5 months later...

I'm interested in getting Accordance running on Linux. Has anyone made any more progress using WINE? Has anyone tried running it in a Windows VM on Linux? If so, how was the performance?

Also, since Android is Linux, would any of the Accordance code base on Android be portable to a version of Accordance that would run on other distros of Linux?

Thanks

I'm interested in getting Accordance running on Linux. Has anyone made any more progress using WINE? Has anyone tried running it in a Windows VM on Linux? If so, how was the performance?

Also, since Android is Linux, would any of the Accordance code base on Android be portable to a version of Accordance that would run on other distros of Linux?

Thanks

I would think that it would work fine in a Windows VM. I don't have a Windows licence, so I've never tried.

I still think the best option is to use Accordance 10 under WINE. This works fine.

Although Android uses a Linux kernel, it's API is totally different and it's not possible to simple port it across to a different toolkit.

There is a project called Anbox which lets you run an Android system on your Linux box. I've not tried it though and this would only let you run the actual Android version of Accordance, which doesn't seem like as good an option as Accordance 10 under WINE or using a VM.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I'm a new user of Accordance from Bibleworks and I'm trying to use it in Ubuntu under WINE.

I've been able to replicate what this thread says about Accordance 12: it installs under Wine, it downloads the modules, but the window is empty or flickers making it unusable.

I want to try Accordance 10, because some users here say that it's usable, but the "Setup Assistant" says "Accordance 10 not found in account" (See screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/38A6sCR )

That's true, I have Accordance 12 in my products page, but not Accordance 10.

I've tried to found Accordance 10 in the store, but I can't add it to the Cart.

So, my question is: Is there a way to have Accordance 10 in my products page? Or an "Accordance 10 unlocking code"? (considering that I've already bought a package, so I can use more than the Lite version)

Thanks!

Thanks dandennison.

I'm sorry but probably I haven't explained myself well (sorry about my bad English).

I have already downloaded the Accordance 10 installer, without problem.

I have already installed it with Wine, and it works.

I have already launched it for the first time and it starts well. The problem comes with the Setup Assistant, the first time it is launched. As you can see in the image I've linked, it says that I don't have Accordance 10 in my account. So the button to continue is inactive and there is nothing I can do from that point.

I was asking if it's possible to have Accordance 10 active in my account, so the Setup Assistant founds it and lets me continue to the program.

Hi!

I'm a new user of Accordance from Bibleworks and I'm trying to use it in Ubuntu under WINE.

I've been able to replicate what this thread says about Accordance 12: it installs under Wine, it downloads the modules, but the window is empty or flickers making it unusable.

I want to try Accordance 10, because some users here say that it's usable, but the "Setup Assistant" says "Accordance 10 not found in account" (See screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/38A6sCR )

That's true, I have Accordance 12 in my products page, but not Accordance 10.

I've tried to found Accordance 10 in the store, but I can't add it to the Cart.

So, my question is: Is there a way to have Accordance 10 in my products page? Or an "Accordance 10 unlocking code"? (considering that I've already bought a package, so I can use more than the Lite version)

Thanks!

Xavimat, I can confirm that Accordance 10 still works for me with Wine under Linux. And I am still unable to run Accordance 12.

There is one problem still with Accordance 10. Modules download OK, but do not install. You need to open them manually from the library to install them, by browsing to their download location (some temp directory somewhere in ~/.wine). Once installed, updates then download OK, but to install them you need to copy the new files over old ones. Bit of a pain, but you can live with it.

I would contact Accordance sales and see if they will give you a licence for Accordance 10. If you explain your situation, they will hopefully do this.

You could test things with by installing the Accordance 10 demo too. You can find this at https://www.accordancebible.com/resources/demos

Xavimat: I have placed Accordance 10 in your account so it should now validate for you. You may find that some of your modules will not download or run in 10, but most should be fine.

• Like 3

Xavimat: I have placed Accordance 10 in your account so it should now validate for you. You may find that some of your modules will not download or run in 10, but most should be fine.

Can I say that Accordance's customer service is really great!

I know the chance of a real Linux version is slim to none, but if there is a willingness to get Accordance working better with Wine, I'll definitely pay for an upgrade, even though the Lite version does all I want.

• Like 3

Thanks a lot, Helen!

Now it validates and downloads the modules correctly (I'm still working on installing them, as David Purton explains).

• 11 months later...

I also find this a pain as I only run Linux and have done so for years. (No doubt people in this forum would be horrified that my primary computer is a MacBook Air upgraded to run Linux :D )

I'm with you.  I have upgraded my MacBook Pro to run Linux and I miss Accordance.

• 10 months later...
On 9/15/2019 at 3:37 PM, Helen Brown said:

I have purchased accordance 8, 9, 12, and 13.  It seems that only 10 will work on Linux (PopOs 21.04).  I have recently had to change operating systems due to apple not supporting my older mac pro.  I have put Linux on it and installed Accordance 13, but all I get is dark boxes.  If I am able to make it through the black screens to log in, then the program just crashes on startup. Is there anything that I can do to make any of the versions that I own work on this platform? I tried to install 10 as suggested by others in past comments, but I could not get past the log in screen because I do not have a license for that version of your program.  Thank you for you answer in advance.  

Edited by Michael Mould

On 7/22/2021 at 9:10 PM, Michael Mould said:

I have purchased accordance 8, 9, 12, and 13.  It seems that only 10 will work on Linux (PopOs 21.04).  I have recently had to change operating systems due to apple not supporting my older mac pro.  I have put Linux on it and installed Accordance 13, but all I get is dark boxes.  If I am able to make it through the black screens to log in, then the program just crashes on startup. Is there anything that I can do to make any of the versions that I own work on this platform? I tried to install 10 as suggested by others in past comments, but I could not get past the log in screen because I do not have a license for that version of your program.  Thank you for you answer in advance.  

If you contact tech support - email on https://www.accordancebible.com/contact-us/ then they can add Accordance 10 to your account. Unfortunately a number of recent modules don't install in 10 but that is much better than not at all!

11 and 12 have graphical glitches on Wine that make it unusable, and I get the same crash as you with 13. 

• Like 1