Accessing lexicons in a multi-pane window

mythrenegade

I generally create multi-pane windows in Accordance to work in. I setup with ESV, NASB95, and NA27/BHS simultaneously. I then add the NA27/BHS notes and apparatus on the bottom. Occasionally I will replace those with a commentary or such. Unfortunately when I am doing serious work, I end up with a significant pile of extra windows full of lexicon entries. Going back and forth between them is time consuming and annoying. I don't care for the significant loss of screen space when using tabs, especially when there is only one window, then it's a useless loss of space.

My question is this: is it possible to make a pane of the window something like a lexicon, that can respond to triple clicks of greek/hebrew text etc.? How about just a way to remove the tab when there is only one window?

Joel

My question is this: is it possible to make a pane of the window something like a lexicon, that can respond to triple clicks of greek/hebrew text etc.? How about just a way to remove the tab when there is only one window?

With your tool open in a tab, use Window menu > Detach Tab (cmd-opt-T) and then try Window > Arrange > Tile Windows (cmd-I).

With your tool open in a tab, use Window menu > Detach Tab (cmd-opt-T) and then try Window > Arrange > Tile Windows (cmd-I).

I understand what you are getting at, but tiling the windows does not resolve the problem. The tool's window would be much, much too large in comparison to the space it would use as a pane. Furthermore, it doesn't resolve the issue of every time I triple click on a word I get a new window...

I am asking for a way to maximize screen space on laptops and other machines with "smaller" screens.

Joel

I use a 12" PowerBook, so I do know what it's like to work on a smaller screen with multiple panes and tabs.

Let me try to answer your original questions more directly.

My question is this: is it possible to make a pane of the window something like a lexicon
No, you currently can't have a non-Reference Tool (such as a lexicon which is alphabetized) as a pane in a Text window, since they are fundamentally different types. Mixing these types would be visually confusing to say the least (e.g., scrolling and searching), and in any case, tabs are separable so that, among other things, you can see a tool side by side with a text with their respective search arguments visible.

How about just a way to remove the tab when there is only one window?
Not sure if I understand this original question, but any tab that you detach becomes a non-workspace window--maybe that's what you want?

Furthermore, it doesn't resolve the issue of every time I triple click on a word I get a new window...
How about turning on window recycling in the lexicon (click above the History popup or Window > Set > Recycle Contents; though maybe I'm missing something since lexicon tabs/windows automatically are set to recycle)?

Hope something here helps!

Not sure if I understand this original question, but any tab that you detach becomes a non-workspace window--maybe that's what you want?

You have been helpful, but let me see if I can make this part clear.

When I turn on tabs, a single window has a tab at the top of it. This tab is completely pointless, as there is only one window open. It takes up space, precious space, when using a smaller screen. Why should a single window have a tab at all? Look at how safari handles tabs. When you add a second window, THEN the tabs show up. That's what I'm asking for.

Content recycling? Never heard of it. I'll look into that immediately. Thanks!

Joel

Is there a way to directly open a new window when amplifying to a tool? I already have the appropriate lexicon set to recycle in a separate window, but it I then seek to amplify to a theological journal, I get another new tab which I then must detach and resize. Is there a way to open a new window without the additional steps of detaching the tab and resizing the new window?

Jack

Hold the command (Apple) key down as you amplify.

Thanks

Jack

Archived