Apple Hardware

chaplanger

I have seen an ebay seller selling an older imac (Lime Green) -- G3 350, 256 MB RAM, 15GB HD, running OS 10.3.

Will this machine perform nimbly with this operating system, and running Accordance 7?

I am not yet in the Mac World, but for $50 (even w/o keyboard or mouse) this is tempting.

Will this machine perform nimbly with this operating system, and running Accordance 7?

This machine will NOT run nimbly under OS X unless the ram is upgraded beyond 256. I'd probably replace OS X with OS 9 which will run just great on this machine. Either way, Accordance will run just fine.

Mark

I agree with Mark that you will definitely want to upgrade the RAM in this machine, but I have a 350 Mhz G3 with only 576 MB of RAM and it runs OS X 10.3.4 just fine. It won't break any speed records, and if you do anything really graphic-intensive it can certainly get sluggish, but it's surprisingly good for a seven or eight year old machine.

As for Accordance, it has always been zippy, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to look for another imac that includes the keyboard and mouse. There are many for sale. Also, I'm not certain of this, but I'm about 99% sure there is no such thing as a lime 350Mhz iMac. The 350's were all blue IIRC. The 350 is a very bad choice if you are looking at an iMac. It does not include firewire or airport, so it's expansion is limited to USB 1.1. The 400 is usually available very cheap online, in the $50 range with a keyboard and mouse, and is a very worthwhile upgrade. They use standard PC100 ram, so upgrading that is simple through ebay or any standard ram site. 512MB chips are $68 new at the chip merchant. One of those would give you enough ram for 10.3, although 10.2 will run faster on that box. I have a 400Mhz iMac at home that my kids play games on. I think I have it setup running OS9 for maximum speed.

Joel

Archived