Syntax searching logic...help

Ken Simpson

HI, I was thinking about the topic here and decided I'd like to try a syntax search to see if I could identify the conditionals where there is the paricle ἐὰν followed by a subjunctive verb in the same clause.

So I made a construct search that looked for ἐὰν followed by a subjunctive and put the two items under a CLAUSE ANY item.

To me that would mean that the items underneath the clause item have to be in the same clause (of any type) and that the ἐὰν must preceded the verb subjunctive as the "search both ways" button is not ticked.

Strangely, the first two results are not what I expected to see. In Matthew 5:20, not only does εἰσέλθητε appear to be in a different clause (the apodosis here), accordance doesn't hit the subjunctive περισσεύσῃ which is only 2 words away from ἐὰν. That to me is clearly within the same clause.

The second hit, Matt 18:3, again the subjunctive that Accordance selects is again in the apodosis, while the ἐὰν is in the protasis, and it misses the 2 subjunctives in the apodosis, στραφῆτε and γένησθε.

Now I know it's not Accordance's fault, it's mine for not properly understanding how the syntax works, but could someone please help me work out why this is the case?

Thanks

(here is my workspace

post-29509-0-25555000-1375792241_thumb.png

OK so this is a bit odd. On Windows beta 6 using your search above I get περισσεύσῃ in 5:20 but my result for 18:3 is the same as yours.

I'm using GNT28-T so its probably that more than Windows that is significant here. I actually cannot get the search to run properly against GNT-T on Windows. I'll have to investigate that separately.

Thx

D

Just tried it on Mac. There is definitely a change between GNT-T and GNT28-T in 5:20. But I cannot spot it in the ID.

Thx

D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I had missed this. I am watching the syntax topics: may I suggest to post there, for quicker feedback?

The reason is of this behavior is that in both Hebrew and Greek we place conjunctions outside the Clause boundary. In other words, they are not part of the Clause itself.

As for subordinate Clauses, the subordinating conjunction will be an Adjunct or a Complement that will introduce a Clause.

As for ἐάν, it will be an Adjunct to a Predicate.

For the Hebrew modules, I need to nuance Marco's statement a bit. We do include conjunctions inside the outermost clause boundary. Thus, if you were looking for a conditional clause followed by an imperfect verb, you would look for Clause (Dependent) with the first item אם and then an imperfect verb. Since there may also be a waw ו conjunction before the אם, it would also be wise to search for אם as the 2nd item.

I've put a snapshot below.

post-29948-0-93058300-1377125710_thumb.png

I apologize, I now see that this was topic is already included in the Syntax Modules forum.