No Page Numbers

David Lang

Someone recently asked about how to do a bibliographic citation of an Accordance module that does not include page numbers. I thought others here might be interested in the answer.

When we prepare a module for Accordance, we're limited by the amount of information included in the electronic text we receive. If the original source text does not include page numbers, there's no way to get that information in the Accordance module.

Some Accordance modules do include page numbers, and as you scroll through the text, the page number is displayed next to the paragraph number. When you cite these modules, it's easy enough to specify the page number you're referring to.

That said, citing the page number is not the only way to cite a reference work. You can cite the title of the article, the number of the paragraph within an article, etc. Most of the standard guides for bibliographic citations have been updated to account for electronic resources which lack page numbers. Here are a couple of links which might prove helpful:

http://www.pace.edu/library/pages/instruct...es/turabian.htm (Turabian)

http://www.pace.edu/library/pages/instruct/citeprint.html (MLA)

Keep in mind that page numbers can vary in different editions of a printed work, so page numbers are hardly an absolute way to point your readers to the source material you're citing. If they happen to have a different print edition than the one cited, it is not necessarily easy for them to find your citation by page number. In the same way, when you're citing an Accordance module, you are using an electronic edition of that resource which may not include page numbers at all. The important thing is for you to cite your source in such a way that your readers can consult your source material.

Hope this helps.

When we prepare a module for Accordance, we're limited by the amount of information included in the electronic text we receive. If the original source text does not include page numbers, there's no way to get that information in the Accordance module.

Uh... you could, uhm... err... look up the numbers in your hard copy.

Your laziness asude, ;) this is a nice post.

Your laziness asude, ;)

Now, now, Joseph. We can't all spend all day tracking down page numbers just to pamper the electronically challenged.... ;)

• 7 months later...
Hope this helps.

Thanks David for your help.

I use the Turabian format and I it would help me to cite if I could reference the opening splash text information for each module. However, this displays too briefly to copy down. Is there a way to either set the splash to remain long enough for copying or is there a text file somewhere in the Accordance folder that contains this information?

Just select About the Text in the Accordance menu, and you see the information and even have a Copy to clipboard button.

Uh... you could, uhm... err... look up the numbers in your hard copy.

In many cases we could. But for some modules, this could conceivably double the cost of development, which would be reflected in the price charged for the module. And, as David pointed out, you would still be left with a method of source citation no more precise than before.

Just select About the Text in the Accordance menu, and you see the information and even have a Copy to clipboard button.

Thank you Helen! It's funny-odd how simple things like this can escape notice :)

• 4 months later...

Hi folks,

I've had a search and I can't find any info on how to go the other way. That is, how to find an article in an electronic reference when you're only given the page number (and the book title). E.g. Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, pp 223-267. I realise those numbers are tied to a particular print anyway, but I'm just interested, since I get lots of these to look up (as a student).

Thanks.

Edit: And it looks like someone changed my photo too. I'm 28, not 68.

David will check on the links at the top.

This module does not have page numbers so the only way you can find the article is if you know the entry name or the contents. In a module with page numbers, such as Biblical Imagery, you can set the field to Page Numbers and find them directly.

You need to reupload your picture, sorry. See this topic.

Archived