Console app crashes on MacOS because of Accordance crash reports

karlsauter

Library/Logs/DiagnosticReportsHi,

I am using Accordance 13.0.4 and MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.

For some time, my Console app had been crashing whenever I clicked the Crash Reports tab. I navigated to ~/Library/Logs/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and found some accordance crash files that were empty. So I went ahead and deleted them and voila, Console stopped crashing.

I reported the problem to apple already, but I wanted to also report it here. I made the mistake of not saving any of the crash report files so I can't upload one, but I'll come back whenever the problem happens again (it happens pretty often).

Karl

• Like 1

Same on Big Sur too. I thought this is a Big Sur bug, but it seems it is not only related to Big Sur.

If you create an empty text file, and copy it to that folder, does that also cause the crash?

• 1 month later...

I just ran into the same problem. The filename from Accordance is what causes Console to crash. I am using Catalina 10.15.7.

Example causing Console to crash

Accordance_2020-12-19 at 01.47.56.crash

If I create an empty file with a similar filename, then it crashes.

CrashTest_2020-12-19 at 01.47.56.crash

It does not crash if I replace the spaces with underscore.

CrashTest_2020-12-19_at_01.47.56.crash

It does not crash if I replace the first underscore with a space.

CrashTest 2020-12-19 at 01.47.56.crash

• Like 1

Very interesting.  I don't know why we'd be generating empty crash reports in the first place, but perhaps I should change how the files are named if the console is choking on it in some circumstance.

If you create an empty text file, and copy it to that folder, does that also cause the crash?

Tested it and it doesn't. I's only the accordance crash reports. Weird bug.

I have deleted the files yesterday and it doesn't crash anymore. Unfortunately I don't have only deleted the Accordance once and give a test. 

Fabian

Hi,
I recently formatted my Mac, reinstalled all my software (including Accordance), and had accordance crash after syncing with Dropbox when I quit the app. The resulting crash report is making Console crash again. I am attaching the file for you to check.

I will also attach another crash report that doesn't make it crash.

1. CRASH: Accordance_2021-01-12 at 11.27.34.crash

2. NO CRASH: acord_2021-01-09-233722_Karls-MacBook-Pro.crash

I'm using Big Sur 11.1

Karl